Help With Class Management

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TinyTeacher, Sep 24, 2013.

1. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

Hi All!Im feeling very overwhelmed because my classroom management isn't going so well. Most of my students listen, but I have a few who just won't listen. I'm not a scary person and I'm soft spoken so maybe thats part of it. Two of my kids like to run around the room and dump buckets and I'm not sure how to get them to stop. They are two of my youngest (not even 3 yet) so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I'm just at a loss. I started crying today because I just don't know what to do!

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 5, 2013

I think at this age you will usually have someone running around the classroom and not listening. It takes a long time to get 2,3, and 4 year olds into your routine. One way to help management is to have music/movement activities that the kids love. When most of the group gets the hang of it and is obviously enjoying it, the little run-arounds will want to join in --eventually.

Keep your sense of humor, and please don't knock yourself for being soft spoken! The louder the teacher, the less control.

If your kiddos are dumping out buckets of toys, manipulatives, etc., making a mess, arrange the room so they can't do this. Bring out less stuff, put buckets up high enough that they can't reach them after clean up time. Hang in there!

4. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Oct 5, 2013

I have younger twos (and all boys) and they love to dump things out. Here are some suggestions/things to consider.

1) We do keep some things up and rotate through them so that there isn't a wealth of small things to dump. If you do plan to keep things inaccessible, however, make sure you are still meeting licensing standards.

2) I asked the person who was helping us optimize our environment and paperwork and she suggested that because dumping things out is still developmentally appropriate (even for older twos), we should focus not so much on keeping them from dumping and more on teaching them how to clean up after themselves. Work with them as much as possible on cleaning up after they've dumped something out. Eventually, they will get it.

3) If the kids that like to dump are getting too wound up (as running and dumping might suggest), try to find a calming activity to focus them. Figure out what interests each kid the most and use that information to help them use their energy in a positive way.

What kind of schedule do your kiddos have? Are your activities developmentally appropriate? Do they interest the kids? How much wait time is there? Are the teachers on the floor interacting with the kids as much as possible? Are the kids getting enough time outside to run and climb? Do the kids get a chance to engage in physical activities indoors, maybe dancing or doing silly walks? Answering these questions might help you to pinpoint some solutions of your own.

I hope that helps some. Keep a positive attitude and keep trying and eventually you will find what works for you.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 5, 2013

Avoiding large "tubs" of items...and placing a few items out on shelves and others in requestable backstock can also help. In block area have blocks, and a few stop signs, a few people, a few cars and few animals. Then as you see the play begin....pull down more animals from a VERY NEARBY location to facilitate play. I used shelves right above the place the children were playing to store these items. There were about 5 of each of the bait items, and several sorts of blocks.

See? Limit what is available to pull out, while you work to ensure you have the items when you need them. Boxes with lids, even those animal cracker boxes with the blue screw on lids that I see in many programs can hold items in a manner that will slow down a dumper. Then I made dump and fill items in the manipultive section. We would move dumpers to a location to dump appropriately and sing the "dump it out and fill it up, fill it up, fill it up...dump it out and fill it up....it is fu-un", song.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2013

You have been given great advise so far.

The environment and its organization is key at that age. The less out the better, in many cases. Also, how is the furniture set up? There may be too much room to run.

I also believe music can be key. Songs to transition to other activities. Songs to clean up. Songs and dancing to get their wiggles out or change the mood. Music and movement to burn energy. Join in the fun.

Also, lots of positive attention. I see ___ is helping clean up. I notice ____ is sitting nicely. I appreciate _______. Give more attention to positive behaviors you want followed than negative behaviors.

At this age, they want to be helpful. Who wants to help me......? usually gets some kids running to help, especially when you praise them.

Accept much of this behavior is developmentally appropriate, so don't take it personally. Give them lots of sensory and motor activities and be outside as much as possible. Keep them moving!

Give them love. They will love you back and want to please you.

Good luck!

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 8, 2013

You all are amazing. I'm having the exact same problem in my classroom. This is good advice! Songs have been a HUGE help so far, but my students still are not great. You may already do this, but read as much as you can, with as much enthusiasm as possible. When I start to read during circle time, typically my students are all quiet and listening by the second page. The curriculum has a lot of free time in it but they do much better with structured time.

I also have a problem with a few kids who knock or break the projects of other kids. While running around, they like to smash into the block towers of students who are hard at work. Any tips for that?