Help with children's books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ellie81, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Nov 7, 2008

Hi guys,

The other children's book that came to my mind that I loved as a kid is about a princess who wants to be an ordinary girl just like other girls. She has her own castle but it's no fun for her she wants to do fun things like other girls and is bored with being a princess. Would anyone know the book I mean the title and author of this one?

Also, would anyone be able to suggest to me a good website that would have discussion questions for the children's book, The bad-tempered ladybug by Eric Idle?

Thanks,

Ellie :)

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

Do you mean the book by Eric Carle?

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 7, 2008

5. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

Help with some children's books

Thanks very much for that lemonhead :)

Would you or anyone be able to help me out with a title and an author for the book about a princess I described?

I'm also after another children's book about a little boy I think he has some costume on in the story and it's set in his bedroom and he has this dream and wakes up in a forest or something or I think it's set in his bedroom that turns into a forest after this dream he has and he wakes up with all these mythological creatures in his room.

I remember it from my childhood it was a good story very spooky.

Cheers,

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 10, 2008

This last one is Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. It is a very popular book in the states.

No clue on the princess one.

7. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Nov 10, 2008

Were you perhaps thinking of this one: The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye?

She is the seventh daughter & has seven names that all begin with A...she goes by Amy, short for Amethyst. She is given the gift of being ordinary from a fairy. She runs into the nearby forest/village to experience life outside of the castle, meets her true love, etc....

Chapter book RL: 6.4, for all ages

8. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Nov 13, 2008

Thanks very much for your help guys. Are you 100% sure that these are the right books? Regarding the one about a princess I think she is sick of being a princess and in this book she sets out to live the life of an ordinary girl. I thought it was a picture book with words for younger children but I could be wrong?

Cheers,

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 13, 2008

Well I am 95% sure based on your description of the one with the boy and the bedroom. He talks back to his mom and she sends him to his room without any dinner. Then his room turns into a forest and he sails off in a boat. He meets monsters that "nash their terrible teeth and scratch their terrible claws" or something close to that. Then, he becomes king of the wild things and sails home to find his dinner in his room and it was still warm.

Is that what you are thinking of?

10. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Nov 13, 2008

Yes, that sounds right thanks :)

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 13, 2008

You're welcome! Sorry I can't help you on the princess stuff. I am not into princess stories at all. They are all the same to me.

12. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Nov 14, 2008

I am English and it always amuses me the way authors change their titles to suit the market...In the UK Eric Carle 's book title is "The Angry Ladybird" and Harry Potters Philosophers stone was the Socceres stone...here mmm

13. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008

Are you 100% sure that these are the right books? Regarding the one about a princess I think she is sick of being a princess and in this book she sets out to live the life of an ordinary girl. I thought it was a picture book with words for younger children but I could be wrong?

Also, I remember another awesome children's book from my childhood that I loved to read about a witch and her black cat it was a series of picture books it had different stories with the same character the witch and it included spells and things. Does anyone know the name of these books and the author please?

Cheers,

14. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Nov 20, 2008

"Also, I remember another awesome children's book from my childhood that I loved to read about a witch and her black cat it was a series of picture books it had different stories with the same character the witch and it included spells and things. Does anyone know the name of these books and the author please?"

Cheers,

Also, who wrote the children's book and I think the title is "When the wind changed?"

15. ~Evolution~

~Evolution~ Rookie

Nov 21, 2008

In regards to the princess book i agree with another poster that it is "The Ordinary Princess" by M.M. Kaye.

The story is about a girl, named Amy who is the seventh princess in her family and all have jewel names, Amethyst, Pearl, Diamond etc. When she is born she is 'cursed' by a fairy to be ordinary. Her parents hate it but she loves it. No-one will marry her so her parents concoct this scheme but she runs away and lives in the forest then starts working in a castle in another kingdom. She meets a boy who is actually a prince also trying to be ordinary and they live happily ever after.

It is a small chapter book that has some black and white illustrations throughout.

The "When the Wind Changed" author is Ruth Park.

16. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Nov 23, 2008

Thanks heaps for that. Also, would anyone know the name and author of this awesome children's book from my childhood that I loved to read about a witch and her black cat it was a series of picture books it had different stories with the same character the witch and it included spells and things.

Also, are there any discussion questions or activities that can be found on any of the books I've asked about apart from The grouchy ladybug by Eric Carle?

Cheers,

17. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Nov 24, 2008

Yes, the princess book really does sound like "The Ordinary Princess"--though it's a chapter book, it does have several illustrations, including some in color, so that may be why you are thinking of a picture book. (OT, but the illustrations are also by the author, so that is an extra bonus).

The witch series sounds like one I read as a first or second grader. I think the witch's name was Dorrie and all the titles were something like "Dorrie and the ________". Not sure of the author, but possible Patricia? McCombs? (or something like that??). Oh, and if it's the series I'm thinking of, the black cat's name was "Gink."

18. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Nov 27, 2008

Thanks heaps for your help :) that does sound familiar would you know the exact title and author of the Dorrie the witch books please?

Also, anyone know if there is a good discussion questions website for teachers on When the wind changed by Ruth Park and Brown bear, brown bear by Eric Carle?

Thank you kindly,

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 28, 2008

The Dorrie books are from Patricia Coombs. Here is a list of the Dorrie books that I found on the internet.

Dorrie and the Amazing Magic Elixir
    Dorrie and the birthday eggs
    Dorrie and the blue witch
    Dorrie and the dreamyard monsters
    Dorrie and the Fortune Teller
    dorrie and the Gobblin
    Dorrie and the goblin
    Dorrie and the Halloween plot
    Dorrie and the haunted house
    Dorrie and the haunted schoolhouse
    Dorrie and the Museum Case
    Dorrie and the Pin Witch
    Dorrie and the Screebit ghost
    Dorrie and the weather-box
    Dorrie and the witch doctor
    Dorrie and the witches' camp
    Dorrie and the witch's imp
    Dorrie and the Witchville Fair
    Dorrie and the Wizard's Spell
    Dorrie's Magic
    Dorrie's Play

20. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 28, 2008

Ellie,

I just wanted to let you know in case it might make a difference to you, that Brown Bear, Brown Bear is not written by Eric Carle. It is illustrated by him but the author is Bill Martin, Jr.

Lemon

21. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Nov 29, 2008

Could this have been the Meg and Mog books by Helen Nicoll? They are very colorful and minimal text. In the Meg and Mog story she accidentally turns the rest of her witch friends into mice.

22. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Nov 30, 2008

Thanks very much guys for all your help :) Would anyone know if there is a good discussion website that I can find on google for the books, When the wind changed and Brown bear, brown bear?

Also, can anyone remember the name of the children's book it's an aboriginal story about this giant I can't think of the name of the creature it's one of those aborigine mythological monster stories.

Cheers,

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 1, 2008

Don't know on the website.

Could the book be Abiyoyo by Pete Seeger?

24. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

Thanks again lemonhead for your kind help.
    If anyone knows of any good discussion websites that I can find on google for the books, When the wind changed and Brown bear, brown bear please let me know.
    Thanks once again,

25. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Dec 7, 2008

I'd really appreciate that if you're able to help me referring to my previous posting.

Also, would there be any discussion questions/activities on Abiyoyo? Are you certain that this is the aboriginal story I mean?
    I remember when I was in Grade 4 we did a play split up into groups and acted out the characters fun story.

Cheers,

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 7, 2008

27. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 7, 2008

I clearly remember that princess story from when I was a child but I thought it was a picture book, not a chapter book!

28. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Dec 7, 2008

Thanks so much for your help :) Would you know if there is also a discussion page for the other books I mentioned?

Cheers,
    Ellie.

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 7, 2008

I'm sort of confused? Which books? I have never heard of When the Wind Changed and I don't do princess books.

30. ellie81

ellie81 Rookie

Dec 10, 2008

Sorry, I mean When the wind changed by Ruth Park.

Cheers,