Help with child who cannot transition in a group

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Hmmcghee, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Hmmcghee

Hmmcghee New Member

Jun 9, 2017

I have a few kids in my preschool who cannot transition with a group. They can do this independently to an extent, but when other kids are with them, everything falls apart. They run around the room, tackle kids, throw toys and just cannot keep themselves contained and focused. I have tried many paths, like delaying their transition until I can assist them, but I am met with defiance and aggression. I have also tried visual cues, verbal cues and other audio cues. I spend time with them during the day in an attempt to gain a positive relationship and trust with them, but nothing is working. I am flexible with needs, but I also have strong expectations of all my kids' behaviors. Does anyone have any advice?

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 9, 2017

Have you tried using transition songs or timers?

4. Hmmcghee

Hmmcghee New Member

Jun 9, 2017

Thanks for replying. Yes, I use songs and timers everyday. They work nicely with my other kiddos. I honestly use every trick in my arsenal and keep the transitions consistent throughout the day. Any other ideas?

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 9, 2017

Usually with my students like this I give them a specific job and prepare them to do that job before the transition. It's usually something like:
    -act as the "clean up captain" and wear a special hat, walking around to make sure everyone is cleaning
    -clean up captain with a clipboard and pen to write down "names" of friends being helpful
    -give them some baby wipes to wipe down tables, toys, etc.
    -let them stand at the carpet (or wherever you transition after centers) and hand out stickers to those who clean up and come sit

Those are usually my go-to ideas, but some years I have to be really creative. This year I had a little guy that loved basketball. So we made a social story that said when he cleaned up 1 center, he got to put a little basketball in a hoop. We increased the cleaning required throughout the year.

Also, consider that if you have multiple students doing this (which I have before), you might want to re-look at your group transition strategies. Are you providing transition warnings, using visuals, having effective natural consequences for those who aren't cleaning/transitioning appropriately, etc..