help with cbest reading

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by maths teach, May 9, 2006.

1. maths teach

maths teach Rookie

May 9, 2006

hello,
    i need help with reading section of cbest.I just find all the answer options to be just correct for the question...how can i go for the right one, any learning sources or books that can improve my reading?
    thanks.

3. PartialTone

PartialTone Rookie

May 16, 2006

I used the cliff's notes cbest practice exams before I took the test. I know over-analyzing the questions had been a problem I ran into. The first practice test I took turned out pretty bad. I just read and re-read each question until I realized why my answer was wrong and why theirs was right. I think a person's mindset during the test can play just as big a factor as actual comprehension skills. Just go over practice exams before the test to get yourself thinking how they do.

4. suriyan.r

suriyan.r Rookie

May 16, 2006

Hello "maths teach",
    I too have same problem, but I somehow passed. I will quote TeacherGroupie's recommendation.
    "suriyan, here's a tool that might help: Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day. This is a book from LearningExpress that you should be able to find in or order from most big bookstores. It breaks the comprehension process down into digestible packets. Sorry I don't have the ISBN handy, but I know I've posted it a couple of times on these forums."
    Hope this helps.

5. ambenico

ambenico Rookie

May 16, 2006

Maths Teach:

The best way to do well in Reading is to PRACTICE those questions over and over and over again. If you don't want to buy the books, go to the bookstore and do the practice tests there. Make sure you read the answers CAREFULLY to see why that is the answer. Also download the questions from the Cbest website and practice those as well. I think it is the same level of difficulty as the real test.

As they say "practice makes perfect."

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2006

PartialTone, you're right: mindset - attitude - is a HUGE factor in test taking. Those who come into CBEST hating everything about it will have more trouble. So will those who come into CBEST convinced that it's full of tricks and traps.

Remember, CBEST is a test of BASIC skills in reading, writing, and math, not a test of higher-order ratiocination. It's not out to be tricky. Any good SAT-preparation book will give you more than you need to pass (though the boost to vocabulary you get from better books such as UP YOUR SCORE can come in handy).