Help with Book Ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MrsCheerio, Oct 18, 2011.

1. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Oct 18, 2011

Hi all- I'm new to teaching 3's and have a pretty typical, super squirmy bunch. I'm having a hard time getting through an entire book without a whole lot of interruptions. I need some help with a list of super interactive books that will hold their attention and get them involved in the story. Any of you seasoned pro's have some suggestions for me??? thx!

3. christine89

christine89 Companion

Oct 18, 2011

I think part of the key is to not only have the books be interactive, but short and sweet. I guess when I think of engaging but still short books are ones by Eric Carle (Very Hungry Caterpillar, Brown Bear). Anything with some repetition can be good too because after they catch on to the repeating phrase then they will be engaged enough to join in with you when it comes up in the book. Example of this-Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
    But like I said, I would mostly just look through the books and make sure they're not too long and wordy for them.

4. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Oct 18, 2011

A couple of books that my kids LOVE are Bedtime At The Swamp and Go Away Big Green Monster.

5. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Oct 27, 2011

You can also change things up by telling a story using the flannel board, or even read them at snack.. that's what I do.

Here are suggestions:
    1. Going on a Bear Hunt - my favorite!
    2. Don't let the pigeon drive the bus. - Super interactive
    3. Brown bear, brown bear What do you see - Good for flannel board
    4. Where the wild things are - classic
    5. Hand, Hand, fingers, Thumb - Have the kids drum or clap with it
    6. Click, Clack, Moo. Cows that type - So funny
    7. Five little monkeys jumping on the bed
    8. Pajama Time - I sing it

6. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Oct 28, 2011

I agree books and stories for 3-year olds should be short and sweet, and with LARGE illustrations. The pictures that are too small, busy, or pale are hard to see. I've noticed that if you hold the book steady the entire time, rather than moving it from side-to-side keeps their interest. Also, some teachers read to 3-year olds in a quiet "sweet" voice which can be boring. You know, the voice that some people use when talking to small children but not with adults. Hope these suggestions help.

7. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 28, 2011

I know making eye contact with the group, using facial and body gestures, reading the story ahead of time so that you know it well are important. As you demonstrate your love and enthusiasm for reading and sharing stories with them, story time will become a time that children will look forward to and the behavior issues will subside.

8. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Nov 1, 2011

Thanks everyone! I spent a couple of hours at the library on Saturday and I think I got some great options.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 1, 2011

Practice your books before you read. I get this done while they have "free book time". I compliment often how they know which way is up, which direction to turn pages, how to turn nicely and all of those key book skills. This also helps me track how well they "freely choose books" and "engage in book activities" as it now has a time. This time isn't on an agenda and can increase or decrease as I need. But I use it to refresh how the voices would need to work. I use voices in my stories often, let them talk (a bit), let the own rhymes, hand out props, read it twice and act it out and a lot of other gimmicks.

10. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Nov 1, 2011

Sometimes even good books need editing. I will paper clip pages together or just tell the story rather than read the book. I can't think of an example right now, but keep will try to remember some and post them.

11. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Nov 2, 2011

This!

I teach 4's, but...I've noticed that if I'm really dramatic about how I read it, it keeps their attention more. Like I make everything sound super exciting; I change my tone and stuff. Sometimes I'll even turn the book to myself when I'm about to turn a page so that only I can see it and I gasp and say "Wow!" or something. It totally makes them wanna know what it is on the page and it re-grabs their attention.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 2, 2011

Yep, I love that too. I also say "oh, no, you don't want to see....it is not good...." and they know there is a limited amount of "not good" that can happen in school.....so I am of course not telling the truth. But they are joining again. I also ask recapping questions...in a non-test driven manner. Like....in Little Red Riding Hood when mommy says don't go to the woods? I say....remember this, it will come up again.....you should always do what mommy says, right. We like to prove how big we are by how much error we can find in a book. So, then when she goes to the woods I let them be over the top with the melodrama about how we shouldn't do that for a moment and then continue. The the wolf shows up ......someone will notice him, before the text does and we get to act all "told you so....".

It is all about the show. Not even in competition with the tv, but more like story TELLERS. My city librarian is a Story Teller and she is always saying that I should join her group. I think I need a book to hold as a prop....but honestly she is right, I barely actually READ it. I TELL the story....but verbatim. Those are the ones the kids like.

13. Picasso

Picasso Rookie

Nov 4, 2011

could you tell us more about the nature of these interruptions?

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 7, 2011

I was reading "The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid Of Anything" today...in my rehearsed, over dramatic voice (after a decade long love affair with the book) and I was thinking of your post.....I hope you book time is going better.

15. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Nov 9, 2011

Sure! I have plenty of interruptions that relate to the story in some way- those make me happy! I love it when my kids are curious and connecting something in the story to their own lives in some way like, "oh, I've been to the zoo and saw polar bears there!" etc.

It's the interruptions where the children have just lost focus/interest that are frustrating and have prompted me to seek advice. Things like kids jumping up and dancing, telling me about their weekend (when there is no connection to the story), randomly breaking into song, etc.

I've taken everyone's suggestions into account and am happy to say that story time has improved. I'm confident I will continue to see improvement over the next few weeks :)

16. 123456now

123456now Rookie

Nov 19, 2011

What Will Fat Cat Sit On? by Jan Thomas
    I Saw an Ant on a Railroad Track by Joshua Prince

17. lilmarsh1

lilmarsh1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2011

Another great few books that really engage children are the Life Size books. For example: Life Size Zoo, Life Size Aquarium. These books have huge pictures of the animals and look so real and detailed all the children will love them (at my center they do)! :)