help with behavior

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by HeatherY, Nov 4, 2009.

1. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Nov 4, 2009

I have a student that I am currently trying to get into counseling. He seems to have anger issues. Every reaction is anger first. I have spoken with both the parents and they are seeing the same thing. So I try to keep him calm throughout the day. We discuss having "calm voice and calm body." He is doing better now, mostly because he knows I talk to his parents regularly. Also, I try to get him involved, ansering questions or passing out papers- just to keep him calm! Sometimes, like today, he gets so full of himself. I sent him to a buddy class earlier today. Later in the day he was sitting in his "time out" space but he was totally abusing it. (He did this once last week too). He is being a bother to the class and making noises. I am trying to give hime choices, but what am I supposed to do when he does that stuff? When I go speak to him, he blows up and it just gets worse. Ahh! I am trying to ignore the inturruptions and not give it attention, but I am finding that I just don't have that kind of skills. What else can I do?

Oh, I also spoke to the office about sending him there to cool down. I will send him with a note that he doesn't know is just for him to settle down then they send him back. But I did not do it today. I guess I really should have! Dang! It is hard to think on your feet sometimes!

I also try to talk with him when he is in a calm state. This is usually afterschool, but because of conferences I don't have time to counsel with him today. Help please!

3. danielle.harold

danielle.harold Rookie

Nov 4, 2009

You always have to think of your other kids in your class. If he is making this much chaos in you should really consider getting him into a different class.

4. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Nov 7, 2009

Not an option. He was transferred to my class. I guess what I really need is: how do I remove him/calm him without making more of a scene?

5. DenaliBear

DenaliBear Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

Shameless bribing? :D Offer him a skittle if he behaves. Hah.