Help with another teacher

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by ddc617, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ddc617

ddc617 Rookie

Mar 22, 2007

I have been struggling with my daughters kindergarten teacher all year. I just don't agree with some of the stuff she does. I have been patient and nice because next year she will have a wonderful teacher. Today I found out that they are moving teachers around and my daughter will get her kindergarten teacher in first grade. We have a very small school so there is only one first grade. I don't want to be a problem parent but I don't know how to handle this teacher another year. Please help so I don't run my mouth too quickly and get myself in trouble or labeled a troubled parent.

3. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 22, 2007

I say talk to the teacher about her reasoning for doing certain things. Maybe she doesn't realize that you don't agree or maybe if she explained more clearly her reasoning then it wouldn't upset you so much.

Otherwise, I don't think that there is much you can do. If that's the only first grade teacher, then you clearly don't have a choice. When things upset me around the school or in my classroom, I want to know why it was done. Normally, I'm still upset but I understsand it better and make peace with the decisions that way.

4. ddc617

ddc617 Rookie

Mar 22, 2007

I did go to this teacher early in the year and questioned some things. Like she paid them to take naps during the day. She explained why she did that and I backed off. I did go to the principal when the teacher called me at home and told me that I read to my daughter too much. It was not fair to the other kids that I read so much and their parents did not. The principal said he would look into it and call us back, but he did not. I don't want to the crazy mom in school but I really thought our problems would be solved by grade advancement and now the teacher will be there too!

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2007

I say keep the lines of communication open with the teacher. Express your concerns as you have and work with her as much as you can. The "reading too much" is absurd and maybe the words didn't come out as she intended. I doubt any teacher in their right mind would ever complain of a parent reading too much to their child.

Keep with it, talk to her about what you'd like for your daughter to accomplish next year in first and hopefully, the teacher will open up and help you understand her methods a little more clearly.

Could you volunteer next year or do you work? Maybe if you could come in once a week that might help things out with your daughter....

6. ddc617

ddc617 Rookie

Mar 22, 2007

I really did not misunderstand this teacher. She will not allow my daughter to check out more books or take AR tests because she has taken to many and has too many points. I have started to buy her books so she can go and take them. The janitor helps her to take the tests during lunch. I do work full time. Also I was the Valentine's Party mom and my daughter was showing me her room and things. Then she told me about what they do if the have code yellow, (intruder in the building). Her job is to shut the classroom door and meet all the other kids in the bathroom. Her friend then told me her job was to make sure the teacher was not resting at her desk and wake her up to go to the bathroom also. I looked at the teacher with a dumbfounded look and the teacher just laughed and walked off. I spoke to another teacher and they said she has been caught sleeping before.

7. ddc617

ddc617 Rookie

Mar 22, 2007

Thanks mable and goehring teaches for your replies and sorry if I still act crazy!

8. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Mar 22, 2007

Sorry, but you aren't the crazy one in this situation. I've never heard of either paying kindergarters to take naps or discouraging parents from reading to their children. This woman sounds like she has a few loose nuts and bolts.:eek:

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2007

Have you gone to the principal again? This sounds like a horrible situation.

10. palm

palm Rookie

Mar 23, 2007

I'm a veteran kindergarten teacher and I feel bad for you. How awful for you to have these feelings. I get a little angry with teachers who don't help parents feel better about certain situations.
    I always try to make my parents feel comfortable. We have your children and we should be working together as a team. Try not to get too stressed because it's not going to help. Try to put a positive spin on it and if you're able volunteer as much as possible. That way you'll be able to see with your own eyes what's going on and maybe this will ease some of your fears. Good Luck and hang in there. You know little first graders are able to articulate even better than kindergarteners so this teacher better watch herself.

11. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Mar 23, 2007

You can never read too much to your child. If the teacher does not like your child to take so many AR tests, then go to the public library and get her books there. Or go to Amazon.com or other sites and buy used books. Just don't stop reading!

12. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Mar 23, 2007

WOW!

I would definitely pitch a GIANT fit if I were you. This "teacher's" actions are 100% NOT acceptable! I would not want my kid in her class for the rest of this year, let alone all of next year. For one thing- there is a huge safety concern when a teacher puts her head down/rests/sleeps with students in her class! I mean, come on!

Telling you to stop reading? I think she is just super lazy and does not want to worry about having students at all different levels in her classroom.

She sounds like she just wants to get by doing the bare minimum (or less than!) and you have to ask yourself, how much more could your child be learning elsewhere?!

Do not worry about being vocal on this issue. It warrants someone taking a stand. Talk to the principal and if he does nothing, get the other parents involved and inform the school board. Make a stink. This person has no right teaching and I certainly wouldn't allow her to babysit my children, let alone entrust her with their education!

I hope you don't take offense to my response, I am just really shocked and outraged about this teacher. Think about how much more she has done (or not done, teaching-wise) or said that you haven't even heard of. She needs to be removed from any kind of teaching post.

Good luck with this and for your daughter's sake, I hope you can get her a new teacher.

13. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 24, 2007

I would have to say that you should write a letter to the principal stating why this is not the best place for your child another year. I would give examples and I would be very factual without being emotional. This letter should be given to the teacher as well. I would be careful not to put anything in there that is opinion...just facts.
    If you go another year with this teacher, not only you will be unhappy, but so will your daughter.
    That brings me to the question, how does your daughter feel in this class? Sometimes you can suffer through a teacher you don't always agree with if your child is learning and having fun.
    However, just the fact that she has to stop reading because she is reading too much? Ludicrous!:( That is totally against anything a teacher should say or do.... I for one, am really appalled at that.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 24, 2007

I think I would skip the principal. He didn't do anything the first time you complained. I would send a letter to the school board and Superintendent along with the teacher and maybe the principal.

15. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 24, 2007

Yup... I think you are right... that way the principal will have someone else breathing down his neck. Good thinking JaimieMarie

16. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Mar 24, 2007

Document conversations and see the superintendent. Is the teacher new?

17. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 24, 2007

Go to the school board. You need to for your daughter and all the other kiddos (this year, next and years to come) The school board can only take action if they know what is going on.

18. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Mar 24, 2007

I agree... go in with all you notes, comments etc...PUSH for something to be done, this is your child's education at stake and it is not a little thing, like a lost hat or stickers missing, this is BIG!. I would be in the superintendents office and meet face to face and state my case. This person should not be teaching another year, I would not be able to stand back and bite my tongue Good luck and keep us posted.

19. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2007

I agree. Complain, complain, complain. The reason there are so many lousy teachers (Please don't ANYONE take it the wrong way. There are many, many fabulous teachers. But some really bad ones, too.) is because the system protects them. Sometimes administrator's hands are tied. But they cannot just ignore parent complaints.

There are some serious red flags in the examples you gave.

And I'm sorry, but if there is an intruder in the building, I am not sending ANY child to shut the door. That is my job as the responsible adult.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 24, 2007

You know what?! It's admin's failure to take care of crazy teachers that has landed us in this crazy situation with No Child Left Behind that hurts more teachers than helps. Gosh! Take care of the weeds! I'm with the other posters, go ahead and complain higher.

21. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 24, 2007

OH MY GOSH!!! They caught her sleeping!? and made a child take over emergency proceedures?
    I must have missed that post...
    BY ALL MEANS!!! Get her out of there! I would be worried just sending my child another day. I am sorry to sound so harsh, but my gosh, that is just horrible.
    Please let us know how this turns out.

22. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 25, 2007

I posted first after this post was started, and it wasn't until a posts a little bit later that I realized the extent to which this teacher was making such horrible decisions. I was imagining in my mind the few things that parents have come to me about (finger nail polish to track words and lunch sharing) but to even think about snoozing in front of the children or having the children shut the door for an intruder. Have you had a chance to casually mention to other teachers what they do for the building intruder procedure? Maybe it's schoolwide. Get as much information as you can but definitely do go to higher authorities.