Help with an interview question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissKatey, Jun 22, 2015.

1. MissKatey

MissKatey New Member

Jun 22, 2015

"When I walk into your classroom, what will I see that will indicate you are effectively teaching Common Core State Standards? What will the students be doing and what will you be doing?"
    How would you answer this? I don't feel that I answer this question fully during interviews.
    This time around it's for a second grade position, but I get asked this during non-grade specific interviews too.
    I'll usually mention that what I am teaching is aligned to the standards (duh), then say that there will be cooperative group work, focus on Essential Questions, collaborative discussions, and there's lessons in which higher-order thinking is involved... There's depth to lessons, not just covering the surface... The use of technology.
    There's a lot to be said and I always just feel like I'm not covering it all.

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2015

You should also letting the students take control of learning and you would act as the facilitator of the lesson, monitoring the discussions, students should build off each other, students will be familiar with routines and material handling would be in place. There would be job assignments in the groups and each student should know his/her role. This should take place even in a second grade classroom.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2015

You'll want to discuss rigor, critical thinking, going deeper....

5. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jun 22, 2015

Something I was told in relation to CC standards was that an observer should be able to walk into the room and ask any child what they are doing and get a good answer. (More like "We are learning the parts that make up ten" than something like "playing with ten frames".)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2015

This is not exclusive to CCSS.

Many post the lesson objective in kid friendly language. :thumb:

7. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 24, 2015

From my experience, a clear teaching point is on the board, a chart is up, lesson plan is out with all the common core standards aligned (actually, the the teachers in my school write the standard # on the board!) Also, mention that you would be modeling the lesson, asking higher order of thinking questions, use differentiated instruction, have students self-assess/turn and talk/etc. But most importantly, let the principal SEE the lesson.