Help with Alternate Route

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by jnd0615, Oct 21, 2006.

1. jnd0615

jnd0615 New Member

Oct 21, 2006

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and the teaching world. I am interested in teaching special ed, but am having a hard time figuring out what I need to do for the alternate route. I know that I have to take the Praxis, and 6 credits of something? I have a couple of questions, hoping someone could help me with...

1. What are the specific two classes that need to be taken towards the CE?
    2. Once I have my CE, what are the chances of getting a job in spec ed w/out any experience teaching? I worked in a youth detention center for about 6 months (a long time ago!), but that is the only experience I have working with children.

Would appreciate any advice/guidance!

thanks,

Jen

3. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Nov 3, 2006

Hey, I am in an alternate route program now. The six credit thing was changed, but once you enrolled in an alternate route program at a college/university, they would tell you which courses to take.

One woman I am attending classes with has no teaching experience, has not yet finished the 6 credits (we started before the change was made in late August), and was hired a few weeks ago to work in a resource room.

Where are you located? North or South Jersey?

4. jnd0615

jnd0615 New Member

Nov 4, 2006

Thanks for the reply! I am in Central Jersey :) Near Trenton. So for the alternate route, I don't need to take the Praxis, or take any classes? I can just get a CE w/out any kind of ed experience and start looking for a job? where are you taking your classes?

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Nov 5, 2006

You have a bachelors degree, right?
    If you have your bachelors degree, you can go right to TCNJ since you live in that area and enroll in their Alternate Route Program. I am sure there are other colleges offering alt. route cert programs, maybe Thomas Edison or Rider? You just have to do a little research on each school to find out.
    If you do not have a bachelor's degree yet, then the steps may be different for you. I have heard that there are schools that offer a combined bachelors/masters program. It takes longer than the master's alone, obviously.

Previously, you just needed to complete 6 credits in an approved alt. route program. Then get a teaching position and complete the balance of the 27 credits within 5 years. Now I believe that the state has dropped the 6 credit rule, and you can try to get a job w/o taking any education courses. I don't necessarily recommend that though. Teaching is very difficult. You need to have some background working with kids to help you manage it.
    The woman I mentioned is having a very difficult time in her classroom. She has no education background, so she does not know how to make lesson plans or how to manage a classroom. She may get burned out before she gets finished the program if the school does not provide her with the support necessary to get acclimated to the field!
    Check the NJ DOE website for more info!
    Good luck.

6. jnd0615

jnd0615 New Member

Nov 5, 2006

yes, I have my bachelor's degree, and also have a master's degree in business. I definitely agree with you though...I am going to take a couple of classes before I even start looking for a job. I'll probably apply non-matriculated to Rider or TCNJ and then go from there. TCNJ's alternate route program leads to a Master's in Teaching. I don't think Rider has an alternate route program...still trying to figure that one out.

Thanks again for the advice! I really appreciate it!

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Nov 5, 2006

Anytime!
    Let me know how you make out!