help with adhd bipolar student

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by minnie, Sep 15, 2007.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Sep 15, 2007

I really need some advice. I am a first year K teacher who has a student who has never had preschool or any socialization with other kids until now. He has severe ADHD (running in and out of the classroom, crawling on top and under tables, gets histerical when he cannot do something he wants to do) and bipolar disorder. He is EXTREMELY low and the principal has decided he will be on a two year plan with me. This year is only a year for him to socialize and absorb as much as he can for next year.
    I am having major problems coming up with an effective behavior plan with him. He has a full time aide which I am very thankful for. But no matter what we have him do, he throws a fit and refuses to do what we ask. He runs away from me and the aide and its useless to chase him. He doesn't respond very much to positive reinforcement. The only thing he will do anything for is food. THe medication he is on makes him extremely hungry, that is all he asks for all day. We give him snack breaks throughout the day, but right after he finishes, he wants to eat more. I have started rewarding him with fish cracker when he is doing what I ask, but two minutes after that he is back to his bahavior. I don't feel like its working. He cries and lays on the floor whenever he is asked to even write his name (he has assistance with that) or doing any kind of activity.
    I am sorry this is so long, but I have no experience with ADHD or bipolar. Any advice? :(

3. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 16, 2007

I would start with a "first-then" system right away. Basically, you would partner up an academic/teacher chosen activity with a preferred activity (or snack). Since he has a 1:1, this is something she should be able to enforce. Visual cues such as this may help him remember that there is a reward for cooperating. As he gets proficient at this, you can add two activities before a reward and so on. While this may take time to get him used to this, my students in pre-k sped with Mental retardation picked up this system quickly and this helped a ton with outbursts. This teaches him that everything is earned, so it should help focus him more. If he refuses to do the activity, stick to your guns until he does it. Just keep repeating, after you do (insert your task here), you can (insert activity or snack here). I would also implement a sensory diet to try and burn off some of his excess energy. For example, fill a backpack with books (not too heavy) that he wears in the hall to try and give his body a more grounded feeling. Give him breaks during the day to walk/run a lap around the schoolyard. Doing chores around the room that require energy is also helpful (stacking chairs, carrying books from one place to another, helping to move tables, etc). As for the tantrums, I would say the aide should remove him from the class as soon as the tantrum starts-this is not fair to the other kids. She should not interact with him verbally in any way aside from saying 1 time, when you are ready, we will go back to the room. However the second his tantrum ends, return him to the class activity or his first/then work area. While it is tempting to take away things such as playtime or recess, this strategy is more effective in that it does not reinforce negative behaviors but does reward good choices (getting it together). Hope this helps:)

4. minnie

minnie Habitué

Sep 16, 2007

You know what...that might really work! The only way he will do anything for me is if he gets food in return. So if I start out by giving him his reward for shorter activities, hopefully I can give him two or three activities before giving him his snack. This is really encouraging to hear. In fact, I am going to start doing this tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you sooo much!:D

5. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Sep 16, 2007

No worries:) Good Luck!