Help With a Project

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Writer's Block, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 10, 2013

It's been forever and a day since I have been on here!

I changed grade levels this year (from junior high to juniors in high school), and I absolutely LOVE it!!! I can't believe I survived in jr. high for so long!

So I am here to ask for some help...I need to present a research based lesson for English (AP). It is for a certification. The last time I did it, it was for junior high, and I had no problem coming up with something (and it was awesome, by the way). But since this is my first year teaching high school, I am having a difficult time. I need to begin with a problem I see my student struggling with and figure out a way to "fix" it.

With only one semester under my belt, I am struggling to come up with a concept to research and then present.

I like the idea of how to engage students to read the classics (how many times do we hear "Why do we have to read _________?"), but I am not finding enough research to go with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone teaching high school for a while who can throw out an idea or two?

Thanks so much for your help!

WB

3. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Jan 11, 2013

Too bad you couldn't come up with much for the other idea-- it is a valid question to pursue!

If I'm understanding right, you are identifying a problem you see in your students, doing research, and then planning a lesson to use with your students to address said problem. So you're looking for problems to address?

You may not deal with this much in AP, but the basic question (or statement, as I often point out) "I read it but I don't get it" comes up a lot for me. I know a lesson that acutally provided some helpful student tools for what they can do themselves when they realize they aren't comprehending what they are reading (besides going on SparkNotes) would be helpful in my HS classrooms.