help with a parent

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Oct 1, 2007.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 1, 2007

I have a meeting with a parent this week. I was informed that she had some problems with various things happening in the classroom. Her child was homeschooled before this year (3rd grade.)

I feel like the mom might be expecting the worse and projecting that on her daughter. Her daughter may be saying things at home to make mom feel better. At school she is happy, does her work and is appropriately challenged, but not overly so. She has been a very popular student, and has lots of new friends. But apparently, I made her feel like she is behind. I did tell the mom that she needs some handwriting help and sent home a 2nd grade workbook, because my students are doing cursive and she is still working on print. She is picking up on the cursive fine. I also told ALL the parents at parent night that their kids need to work on addition and subtraction facts. Anyway, maybe I'm missing somehting but at school things seem fine. I'm a little worried about the meeting.

How can I kindly tell a parent to give her child some space to settle into school? I think mom is having seperation anxiety, and having a hard time letting go, after being a homeschool mom.

Any suggestions?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2007

Start with complimenting mom on what a great job she did at home with her daughter. Tell her exactly what you said here. How she is happy at school, has made friends and is progressing nicely thus far...yada yada. Invite mom in as a volunteer for whatever: guest reader, writing editor, etc... Ask for her support at home in handwriting, whatever. Explain whatever differentiation you provide for learners at all levels, what academic choices students may make when they are done with work... Thank her again for all her work at home, tellher you are so looking forward to continuing to support and enrich her daughter's educational experience this year...Stand up, smile, walk to the door, tell her to call you anytime with additional questions, your door is always open and then let her out. ;)

4. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 1, 2007

I had a similar experience where the mom called before school even started and then 3 times the first week. Her kid was crying before she even got him to the car. She seemed to think it was something at school. (Super worrywart!) I knew it from the phone call before school. Anyway what I found out was that the child's grandma had been the teacher the 2 previous years in a private school. Of course the kid was going to have a little hard time adjusting. She said, "If you just let him know that you really LOVE HIM and that his work is just superb and top knotch he will like it better. Hmmm... She also said this crying had NEVER happened before. I asked her if he had ever played sports and had a problem. She said no. Come to find out mom is the coach. It was amazing she couldn't put 2 and 2 together herself. I told her to give me some time and he would be just fine in my class. He took about 5 days and has been fine ever since. I would tell this parent that there is a period of adjustment when they have been in a very comfortable learning situation at home or with relatives. It will take some time to adjust to a new school, teacher, friends and procedures. Even when we get a new job we don't feel comfortable for a few weeks making friends, learning the routines etc. It's only natural kids might take a few weeks to adjust also.
    I had this kid do classroom leader jobs too like feed the pet frogs daily. It did help when he knew he was needed to do the job.