Help with a hypothetical situation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2013

This is a purely hypothetical situation. What would you do?

Situation:
    You are a pregnant teacher. Your classroom is a portable located outside the main perimeter of the building. You do not have a building key; when you have asked for one, you have been told that there aren't any left and the school can't get any more. You have requested that the building doors nearest to the portables area be unlocked and opened in the mornings. You have been assured that this is happening, that the custodians are taking care of it. The doors have been locked every day for two weeks. You cannot get into the building, including to the mailroom, the water fountain, and the bathrooms. You've asked again for a key, and this time the person in charge of giving out the keys got mad at you. You brought this to the attention of your supervisor...who directed you to bring your concerns to the person who is in charge of giving out the keys.

What would you do next?

Also, does anyone know any Dept of Labor rules/laws governing bathroom access for employees?

Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2013

Did the person let the supervisor know that they have already contacted the person in charge of giving out keys and the response that was given? if so, then I think I would take it to the next person in the chain of command.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2013

Federal law (29 CFR 1910.141(c)(1)(i)) specifies a number of things about toilet facilities. State law should as well. OSHA would be likely to have something to say about this hypothetical case: a 1976 interpretation (https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=18488) clearly implies that the acceptability of toilet facilities in a different building requires that the employee can get into the different building.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 28, 2013

Next up in the chain of command, all the way to the board if necessary.

6. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Aug 28, 2013

You could also try to get a doctors note stating that you need to use the bathroom frequently. I had to get one when I was pregnant just so I could drink water and use the bathroom during state testing a few years ago.

7. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Aug 28, 2013

I think most people would acknowledge that a doctor's note shouldn't be necessary; I don't need a doctor's note to have time to eat lunch during the day because eating is a basic biological necessity, just like going to the bathroom.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2013

I can't imagine having access to the building denied.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2013

It's time to make it inconvenient for other people. In this hypothetical situation, I would bring my cellphone to the closed door and call every person in admin and the office, as well as the teachers closest to the door. I would call them all every time I needed to get in. Every one of them.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 28, 2013

I would email both people with mention of previous attempts and if I didn't have a key by the end of the day I would contact my union and the person next in the chain of command.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 28, 2013

This kind of lack of cooperation and sympathy really has no place in a school system. I would take it to the union if the supervisor isn't going to cooperate. I would then also consider taking it up the chain of command. While I like lots of changes in society in the last 20 years, one I don't is that women who are pregnant appear to get less respect. It really did seem that those who were pregnant got much more help and understanding 20 years ago.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 28, 2013

Yep.

And I'd ask the folks who truly run the school- the custodians and the secretary. They might be able to "find" a key.

13. Massieduck

Massieduck Rookie

Aug 29, 2013

Well, I would go to the head locksmith in the district, and ask him for a key.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

Head locksmith? I've never heard of someone having such a job in a school district?

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

I'm also kind of curious as to what happens to the kids in that classrrom who might have to go to the bathroom. What if someone is sick to his stomach?

What if severe weather-- say a tornado-- threatens?

As a parent, I would find this scenario unacceptable.

16. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 29, 2013

:yeahthat::agreed:

17. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Aug 29, 2013

Yes, and how do the students get back in the main building after their class in the portable?

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

Hypothetically, of course, the building doors get propped open during the school day. Until the middle of first period and immediately after the end of the school day, however, the doors are locked. The doors are also locked during lunch. If anyone accidentally or "accidentally" closes the doors, they lock automatically and anyone on the outside must wait until someone on the inside opens them back up.

This hypothetical situation appears to have a resolution at this time. I will keep everyone posted. :)

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 29, 2013

While it is true that pregnancy makes the need a bit more urgent, I think this is a basic human need, regardless of gender or reproductive status, lol! As a diabetic, I am appalled. As a human, I am disgusted. I would definitely contact the union.

20. Massieduck

Massieduck Rookie

Aug 29, 2013

I am glad the matter has been taken care of.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2013

Doesn't leaving the doors open invite issues with school security?? We spent a LOT of years as an open campus, but even our doors are routinely locked during the school day now.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2013

It does. There's a whole mess of problems for campuses with outbuildings. In spite of those problems, though, people (teachers and students alike) still need to be able to get back into the building from those outbuildings. If the doors are locked, they can't do that. If the doors are open, there are security issues. It's a no-win, but it's also not something that teachers have any control over. Admin needs to resolve these issues--that's their job.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2013

GIVE THE WOMAN A **** KEY!

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 30, 2013

They ran out and won't copy more. That's part of the problem.

25. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 30, 2013

My thoughts exactly... this isn't a "pregnant woman" issue, IMHO... it's a "humans need to be able to use the restroom" issue. Man or woman, pregnant or not... this hypothetical teacher is being denied access to a nearby restroom (especially if he/she needs to use it quickly).

I suffer from a digestive issue that sometimes has me RUSHING to a restroom. If I was told, "I'm sorry... we don't have enough keys for you to have one for that nearby restroom," I'd have a doctor's note stating otherwise.

Rights are rights.

26. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 30, 2013

What about the students? Portable units should be illegal....especially with the security threats these days. I would turn it in to the superintendent. RIDICULOUS! Or, there's always the option of telling the parents and letting them cause a stink. :lol:

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2013

I know. They should make more. Easy. Done.

28. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2013

I like the like of getting the parents involved...tried it once and got marvelous results...I was in a portable with 52 children and no ac...by the time my parents were finished, the super was visiting me apologizing.

29. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2013

I have to admit, that in this hypothetical situation, the snarky side of myself would want to write a check requisition to my principal -CC'd to the superintendent, SAC president, union president, and school board members - for a chamber pot to be placed in the classroom due to the fact that there was no key available to give me and my unborn child access to restroom.

Then I would sit back and just wait for the fun.

But in the real world, I would have made this a union issue from the first moment I was refused a key. Which is what I did when I was refused a key to my classroom my second year of teaching. Got the key the next day.