Help with a classroom door

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by LeeNE4, Jul 17, 2005.

1. LeeNE4

LeeNE4 New Member

Jul 17, 2005

I purchased small sailboats to put the students names on and thought I would use blue paper as water. I teach 4th grade and am stumped about what words to use. I thought about "Sailing into 4th Grade" but is there anyone out there willing to help me out with something better?

3. futureiowateach

futureiowateach Rookie

Jul 17, 2005

"Last Call....
    All Aboard for 4th Grade!" ????

4. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 17, 2005

"Sailing into a Great Year"

5. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jul 18, 2005

A Grand Fourth Grade Expedition
    A Flotilla of Friends
    Breezing Into Fourth Grade
    Fourth Grade is a Breeze with Good Friends
    Set Sail
    Happy Sailing

6. LeeNE4

LeeNE4 New Member

Jul 18, 2005

Door message

Thanks for the great ideas.

7. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 20, 2005

Great ideas! :) I have a question that is a little off the subject, but I hope you won't mind my throwing it out. I have always decorated my classroom door-both sides!-, but last spring our fire marshall came in and really lowered the boom on us. I won't go into detail, but it was so aggravating! :mad: She seemed to have absolutely no concept of what the function of a school is or what a school should look like! One of the 'no-no's' from her was that we could no longer have anything on our doors or hanging from the ceilings. I was just wondering if anyone else has had limitations like these levied on their school? We were told that we would lose our insurance coverage if we did not comply within three weeks. Needless to say, our administration sat up and took notice at that! :(

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 20, 2005

I can't hang anything from the ceiling because it could set off the motion detectors which are activated at night. Otherwise, the fire marshalls have not said anything about doors.

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 20, 2005

We have the same kind of limitations - nothing hanging from the ceiling, nothing on the doors, limited amount of stuff on the wall, no storage close to the ceilings, no fabric, .... the list goes on and it is just as aggravating.

10. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 20, 2005

We gave the same things! We are aloud a limited amount of fabric on our class bulliten boards but he has been knows to rip stuff down if there was too much. :confused:

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2005

Ugh! I think we must have the same fire marshall! We are limited......I think they said only 20% of our walls can have things attached to them. I teach K and my walls are used for teaching!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing can hang from ceilings, I don't know about the doors, but I suppose that will be next. It stinks! I understand about safety and all, but I sure don't remember the last time we had a school on fire in our area, if ever!

12. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 20, 2005

Sounds like the same fire marshall, Margo!! :D Wall displays should have 10-15 feet of space between them. No storage within 24" of the ceiling. The list went on and on! We are a brand new facility, one level, extra wide hallways. I know she is just doing her job, and they have certain regulations. It just seems to me that they need to adapt those regulations somehow to take into consideration the type of facility it is and how old it is and all. I just am a strong believer in maintaining an asthetically pleasing environment (Does that make sense?!! :confused: ) and in giving students ownership and affirmation by displaying their work. Listen to me whine about something not all that important--but yet it is!! :)

Motion detectors, Upsadaisy? Is security a big concern at your school? We are so rural, that so far (Knock on wood!) we haven't had to worry too much about someone breaking in or anything. But times are changing at a fast rate even here in the rural areas! :(

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 20, 2005

No, security isn't but we are a private school. Never been broken into or anything. It is part of the security system which is actually there for our protection. I like to know when I arrive first in the morning that the building is alarmed (except when I set off the alarm by mistake at 7 am - a hideous way to start the day). :eek:

14. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 20, 2005

I was wondering if those of you that cant tape up things on your door, could you get away with painting on the door?

15. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 20, 2005

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!! We are not allowed to paint a thing in our rooms!!! Ohmygosh. The head custodian would have a fit.

16. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 20, 2005

In October 2004, we got the fire marshall visit with the same things, but we had two weeks to get in compliance. We had the 20% thing with the wall space, only our outside part of the door may be covered, decorations hanging from the ceiling have to be at least 18 inches from it, I could go on! Our superintendent about had a fit. The funny part is that our school is slowly reverting to its old ways.