help with a class of 25

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jakmcgraw, Aug 25, 2008.

1. jakmcgraw

jakmcgraw Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

ok so our first day was today and i went into it with 25 kids on my roster...hoping that some wouldn't show up! but, they all came. all 25 of them. needless to say, we had an incredibly CRAZY day!! so, my question is...does anyone have any ideas about how to better control 25 kids without an aide?? the main problem is getting them to stop talking while i'm talking. and, they are already fighting over things. any help would be great!! thanks!

3. kinderkidz

kinderkidz Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

I am in the same boat. I have 26 kids already on my roster and I am expecting more as Labor Day gets closer. Last year I had 27 kids in my class. This year we have reduced the number of k-teachers from 4 to 5. Unfortunately the number of kids have not reduced :) I started using power teaching techniques last year to manage difficult behavior and it helped a lot. This year I am starting at the beginning. I think it might help you out. The website is http://homepage.mac.com/chrisbiffle/FileSharing37.html
    Check out the class/yes and hands and eyes technique to stop the talking and the scoreboard . (my kids love to earn extra recess)

I use the rules listed in the book (Love keep your teaching happy. It covers everything) and the hand motions for them and the kids really seem to get it.

I hope this helps

4. jakmcgraw

jakmcgraw Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

thanks so much for showing this to me! i did a little research on it and saw a video on youtube...and i am definitely going to start this tomorrow!! especially the class/yes and hands & eyes. i think that would be a lot better than just yelling at them or whatever which is what i did today! thanks so much! :)

5. elysiansmiles

elysiansmiles Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I feel you - I have 27 (at the moment, we expect more!) and its just... barely controlled chaos. I'm just lucky no one has been seriously injured yet. And we're expecting more!
    Good luck to us!

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 26, 2008

I am curently at 25 in the AM and 20 in the PM at this point! They just approved an aides for me, but she/he is still to be hired and not expected to be in my room until October. Can't wait to hear what other advice people have!

7. cleigh

cleigh Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

use this song "put your fingers on your lips, on your lips shush shush". repeat a few times, each time lower your voice until every one is singing and copy your tone so they end up as whisper..

establish a routine and do not deviate. as a first year teacher, i learned this the hard way. i have learned to give time warnings when transitions are going to happen. usually i start the time warnings at ten minutes prior to needing to clean up to move on. i say stop listen and look at the clock (my class room clock is an analog and at a height i can reach). the first few weeks you will need to directly touch the clock....i started this in june, its now august and i can be in the middle of the room and i say stop look and listen and make gestures to the clock and say ten minutes to clean up and i announce it every five minutes. sometimes during learning centers i will quietly suggest to a specific group that we have , for example, 8 minutes left, and as a teacher, you know it will take the whole 8 mins to clean it up i say "we have only 8 minutes ...is that a lot of time or a little bit ( i use hand gestures to elborate my point for those who dont get time concepts yet) and say since its a little bit of time and a whole lot to clean up, what is a good idea to start?"

another things is , although i know we will sound like broken records, but constantly go over the classroom rules and expectations. while my kids are in a line to wash their hands for lunch, i might say if you would like the pitcher of milk what magic sentence is used? i dont say magic word because i want the kids to use full sentence to show manners and detail what they want! simply saying please can mean anything!!!! before dismiss ing students to walk back to their desk to do a worksheet, for example, say please quietly stand up and slowly walk to your seat. i always see two who roll their eyes, but some kids at this age need to repeatedly hear it because they do not think the teacher is paying attention to them! if you have to single a student for running, saying there name in a cool tone lets them know you see them and they will return to slow walking feet.

keep a consistent routine, even if the children do not know how to read time, they can sense it! if a major change is occurring, give fair warning!!!!!

use a classroom management system whether you have 8 kids that day or 30 ( my numbers range every day)! if you have 22 kids for a week, and the next week you have considerably less and the week after back at 22....it does not matter....some of the kids will be there every day and expect the routine...deviate once and you will begin to hear...well you didnt do it last week....and they are right why should they follow it if you are not using it with every student!

start teaching them about respect, peace, harmony, whisper voices (with thirty kids in one room, super low voices are a must!) i did a lesson on harmony which is defineded as being peaceful....which lead to ways of showing harmony or peace in the community and world, and that led to me to sign language, and the most recognized peace symobol and a sign for harmony during circle time so every could hear who was talking was decided on the finger to lips! all i had to do was call on students with hands up to offfer an idea and kids could not wait to say examples of peace and harmony they see every day every where they go!

i introduced from day one the concept of why i give stickers. i give stickers to show i really appreciate something done that makes me very very happy and since i can give stickers i can take them back if they do not appreciate the sticker, lets say for cleaning up a mess someone else made, then being inappropriate towards the child who originally made the mess. . so far i have not had to take a gift sticker back, but when i do give them out i say i am gvi came up with star students. and to be a star student three things were needed when we sit on the colored carpet (my circle time carpet has different colored boxes while the whole room is in grey carpet) 1) criss cross legs ( i call it criss cross pizza sauce, apple sauce...i change ryming food part as long as you say criss cross ____ sauce it works!),2) not talking to our neighbors and 3) hands on the knees ( or not on your neighbors). then i said showed them all the star stickers i had and how i had more than enough for all them, but the game doesn't end until the end of the day. so every time we are on the carpet, what can we do to be a star student and receive our star?".....the students responded accordingly. every child receives a star a the end of the day no matter what, so each time we sat on the carpet i named different students as star students or saying my beth you are so close to being a star :....

do a role playing game of eating the largest piece of bubble gum. and have the children pretend to blow the largest bubble in the world! then have them catch the bubble in their mouth and hold it so you can see it (cheeks puffed out). when the kids are too noisy i say catch your big bubbles. dont forget to tell them to let their bubbles out too! kids take things literally!

a teacher i once substituted for had the kids pretend to be wolves (their schools mascot as well) when they were in the hallways of the school. after all a wolf wont catch dinner if they cant be quiet, pay attention to what is in front of them! when i moved to a different part of NJ, there mascot did not make sense for this, so i made the kids the parent animal and all the other people in the halls and inside the classrooms sleeping baby animals....

sometimes i have the kids follow my hands. i start saying hands on your heads, hands on your shoulders, hands on your ears. once all kids are tuned i stop saying the motion i am doing and the last one is always my hands either on my knees (for some reason all my kids understand this as hands in the lap sign !!!! i think a previous teacher taught them that) or my finger on my lip.

two great books to deter hitting and mean words 1) hands are not for hitting and 2) words are not for hurting. each book has several ideas in the back to use as lessons!