HELP! with a behavioral issue!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Ms.Cortney, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ms.Cortney

Ms.Cortney Rookie

Mar 8, 2007

Hi i'm new to this site and was hoping i could get some help with a child in my class room that i just can't seem to get on the right track and be more expressive with his words! I'm the lead teacher in my preschool 2 room i work with mainly 3 to 5 year olds.

I have one child in particular that i just can't reach correctly and i dont know if i'm doing something wrong or if its him just not being able to get it!

So anyways i have a young boy in my class who hits kicks punches and bites teachers when he's angry at either a student or the teacher for telling him he can't do something or something is not nice to his friends. he never really goes after the children just the teachers mainly. like the other day i told him i'm sorry but it isn't not to throw your toys at my friends because u could hurt them very badly and he BIT ME! now i've never been bit by a child have had children try to bit me but it never made it. i try to use positive reinforcement and tell him if your good and you listen to your teachers and are nice to your friends u can bring bob the builder to circle time or whatever we're doing and it works for about that day and then he loses interest in it but i keep changing it up what he gets if hes good and thats kind of starting to work but its not at the same time! PLEASE HELP! any suggestions will help greatly!

I've talked to his mother because his mother is my director and everything so its a little easier to talk to her about her child because she knows how he is and everything and we had the IEU come in and test him and everything but we dont know yet whats going on. i personally think its either going to come back with A.D.D A.D.H.D or most definitely O.D.D so who knows but please help! thanks so much!

Ms.Cortney's Preschool Class!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2007

He needs consistency and structure. No exceptions.

4. Ms.Cortney

Ms.Cortney Rookie

Mar 8, 2007

ok when u say structure what do u mean like am i doing the right thing as far as the positive reinforcement or am i doing something wrong?

5. Heart2Heart

Heart2Heart Rookie

Mar 9, 2007

Besides talking to the child, one thing you could do is to give him an outlet for his frustration. Tell him that if someone did the same things to him would he like it? Tell him that there are other ways to express yourself than biting, hitting, kicking, etc. Then give him other options.

Tell him when he feels like he wants to bite, he can chew on something instead. (have something for him to chew on like a chewy toy that will be only for him or gummy bears)

Tell him instead of hitting. He can go to a corner and punch on a pillow to let out frustration.

Tell him he can also draw a picture when he feels angry. Give him a special journal.

Write down what he can do instead. Go over it with him. Make a little chart and everytime he follows, tell him he will get a sticker on his chart. Four stickers in a week will earn him a treat.

Tell him you will not tolerate behavior that is not appropriate. You can also send him to a thinking corner, put a chair in the room where no one is and have him sit there for five minutes to think about a better way to treat people.

Also, when he follows the rules and uses a better option, make a big deal about it and give him praise. Tell him he can be line leader or class helper when he makes good choices.

Go over with his parents what you plan on doing to stop the inappropriate behavior and see if she can assist at home and reinforce it.

I hope this helps. Let me know.
    Good Luck!

6. Ms.Cortney

Ms.Cortney Rookie

Mar 9, 2007

ok i will most def. try that one thats a new one that i haven't heard of before now i mean we have tried giving him his own little space that when he's upset or angry that he can go to his own little towel and sit there and play by himself but its not really working anymore see the only big problem with the positive reinforcement with him is that we give him things for being good but then the next week he doesn't care about it its like its old now i dont want it! soo i have to keep changing it up all the time! soo its really frustating! but thank u soo much i will try that on monday! woohoo its the weekend!!! lol
    thanks
    ms.cortney