Help-Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by samanthamaren, Jun 8, 2007.

1. samanthamaren

samanthamaren Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

I just got my first job. I start teaching July 9th, 8th grade Science. I feel SO overwhelmed I dont even know where to begin!!! What shoudl I start with? Its a different state, so I am learning all new standards. What do I need to make sure I do in the first week??? Does anyone have ANY advice? Im so stress and nervous!

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 8, 2007

Reference books to identify leaves plants and trees, if you have them collect leaves. Books to identify bugs if you have them collect bugs.

Grow Wisconsin Fast Plants. (I have heard that mustard seeds grow quick and easy and are lots cheaper) Do a google search to learn more. You plant the seeds, they grow six or seven inches tall, bud, bloom beautiful bright yellow flowers, form seed pods, plants dry up you harvest the seeds to plant next year. Complete plant life cycle in only seven weeks. It is awesome.

4. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

Go over scientific method as a review. sciencespot dot net has some fun activities and spongebob themed worksheets.

Qualitative and Quantitative observations.

Familiarity with typical lab equipment and how it is used. Have them practice using triple beam balance, microscope, etc as labs.

Metric measurement.

Graphing data, including all parts of a graph.

Those are off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

5. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 8, 2007

Breathe...

I think you are off to a good start by reading the standards you will be teaching. I would also ask the school for a Teacher's or student edition of the textbook and a curriculum map (if used by that district) so you have a basic idea of what you will be covering.

Since this is your first job, I would take a look at some of the other threads and be ready with all of your classroom procedures on the first day.

I understand how overwhelmed you feel as I was in that position very recently (teaching math), but it will be ok! Hang in there!