HELP...what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

2. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 27, 2009

Just noticed you listed an area near where I live...Nashville. Lots of inner city schools. I've applied and have not heard a thing...Updated application and nothing. :( Def would try it though if you are looking to move to TN. Plus getting a cert transferred from one state to other is easy..and costs nothing. BUT you will have to take a Praxis II exam to be HQ in elementary (MsBee I know you are new like me).

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 27, 2009

Alice is great. Your like my virtual mom!

My major problem with applying to areas that I have not already applied to are my recommendations.
    My professors are no where to be found when I e-mail them. I e-mailed one months ago to do one for me and she never responded and never did it.
    Then my CT still has not completed about 5 for me.
    So to have to go through that process again. If you remember way back I was freaking because I couldn't get anyone to do them.
    When they did do my recs they were flawless. I got exemplary on everything. Its just getting them to do them.

I guess I need to go back and try yet again.

Thanks so much though. I really appreciate it.

4. gagirl

gagirl Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Hey, Ms. Bee - please hang in there!! I know how frustrating this job hunting situation can be, especially considering the vast effort and resources you have put into the search for over such a long time . . . I'm in the same boat, and just tonight was even mulling over whether I should keep going with what seems like a fruitless search for a teaching position, or whether I should just give up on education altogether for now. Then I read posts about someone like you - who may be having a hard time but who somehow always does her best to pick herself up and keep on going - and I feel inspired and not so alone on this rough path to who knows where. Your name should be Ms. Tenacity instead of Ms. Bee! So please know that you have another fan out there who has her fingers crossed for you! :thumb:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Ms. Bee, cross that bridge when you get to it.

If and when you need references (that's after the interviews we're currently working on) your people may be back from vacation. If not, ask someone who currently has them-- like the schools with which you've already interviewed-- to forward them to you or to the next school.

The references are NOT the issue; it's the interviews you should be working on.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

You have to have references. I def would make sure these people are doing their best to fill these out or get new people. Maybe a teacher that you student taught with or a parent of a student in your class? All the best!:)

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 28, 2009

Ok...being older (Dang it-I HATE saying that!) and been around the barnyard for a while..you start to LEARN things...and you start to UNDERSTAND what people mean when they DON'T say things.

If she had not said it first, I would have told you EXACTLY what Rain told you.

And had SHE not said it first, I would be kicking you into action with Alice's plan.

MsBee, YOU have an ADVANTAGE that MANY MANY MANY in the job search do NOT! YOU, my dear, CAN go to the jobs. And as a new teacher...more often than not, THAT is what it takes.

OK...Alice snapped you awake...let me slap you into action. Answer THIS: Do you WANT to teach or not? If you say you don't care, NO-ONE is going to have a sob-fest for you...they'll just be happy to take the position that you COULD have had a shot at. So either YOU get up and DO...or watch others TAKE the opportunities that YOU are leaving behind.

Go DO!!!!!!

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

I would definitely drive to the interview. An eight hour drive isn't that bad. Last year I drove eight hours to a job fair the day before the job fair and then drove the eight hours back after the job fair. And I think that Alice's plan of contacting other school district's on the way there is great! Also, there are a lot of districts that don't require written references upfront and only call after you've interviewed. See if you can find those districts right now, so that you can apply to more places. Good luck!

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

Ok how old are you MCK? If I am older than you.... I am gonna be so P'Od is you're calling yourself OLD! :hugs:

10. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

I DO CARE!!!!! :)

So far I have been doing everything I can think of and am able to do possible to get a job.

I have no money and I have been sending out packets daily and making brochures, flying etc. I have $3.00 in my savings account. All this stuff goes on my credit card which my mom is having to pay for me.

Its just so frustrating. I am so glad that everyone is on my side and sees that I am trying.
    I really am and I want this so bad.

I will get to work on Alice plan but in the end I may have to fly anyway. My car is another issue on its own.

I appreciate you all.

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

borrow a car from mom for a couple days. or recruit a good friend to go with you.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Ms Bee, can you call your school and explain the reference situation? Since you are out of state maybe they don't understand that Va schools all insist on their own specific reference forms before they will even review your application for an interview. I felt bed snowing my professors under with all those forms (and can you do it this week?!). But in the meantime perhaps they file copies with the department admins?

13. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 28, 2009

I'm going to have to work on somethings.

14. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

wow every school needs its own references? i dont even know how i'd manage that!

15. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

I think she means every district. Our school uses the recs and phone numbers sent in from HR.

16. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

I am sending positive vibes your way!! I know how frustrating it can be filling out applications and getting reference letters. Uggg.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Ms. Bee~we know you want a job. Your willingness to travel for interviews show how serious you are in getting a job this year. And I wouldn't worry about mom. She understands and sees how hard you are trying to get that job. Parents are great that way!

18. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

MSBee I had no idea you were going as far as VA. I am from there. If you really want a job you go right here to Petersburg VA and apply. Do not live there. It is an innercity public school (if you can handle it) and they are always needing great qualified teachers. I was hired before I even had my license complete then they helped me transfer everything. Also 4 years ago starting pay was 32K+ benefits. You can live right in Colonial Heights a nice safe area in a 1 bed from for around $600.

http://www.petersburg.k12.va.us/

As of right now this is what is on their board
    Elementary Ed. PreK-5 Teachers
    Math Teachers
    English Teachers
    Social Studies Teachers
    Special Education Teachers
    School Psychologist
    Speech Patholgist
    Director of Special Education/Pupil
    Personnel Services
    Spanish Teacher
    Gifted & Talented Coordinator

I know for a fact they need teachers.

http://petersburgpsva.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-13016.html

Please PM if you need any help.

19. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Sorry, yes, I did indeed mean district. Each district in Virginia (unless there are one or two small ones that I did not investigate) require that your references fill out a form that consists (usually) of a series of categories where they rate you 1-5 and a few short answer questions. Some of them also allow an attached letter to be added.

Even though the online applications all require that you list 3+ references, they will not even look at your application until those forms have been mailed or faxed. Some districts (Richmond and Prince William, for example automatically email the reference forms to the email address that you provide on the application).

I had no idea that this was not fairly standard across the country until I started reading this board. I can imagine that education professors have requests up to their eyeballs come spring, especially since you can't do these in advance.

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Colonial Heights is pretty decent. It is fairly close to Richmond and it is right near Ft. Lee Army base. I wanted to apply there, but they closed the position the day after I started my application. Also, check Henrico. Henrico schools vary widely, but most are pretty diverse. They may be wrapping up hiring, but I know they were recruiting pretty heavily at the job fairs. I was told by Chesterfield (who were not hiring at the job fair--why where they there?!) that Henrico is one of the only counties in the area growing and expanding the number of teachers.

But, an oddity: my mom ran into an old neighbor today and got to talking, and it turns out his new neighbor just moved here from Michigan to teach elementary school (no idea beyond that). He said Chesterfield was up in MI recruiting and that was the only reason the neighbor moved here. I have no idea wth they are going out of state to recruit right now. Chesterfield is mostly middle/upper middle suburbs of Richmond; probably reasonably easy area to teach in.

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 28, 2009

50...but at times on this forum I feel 75. (In life... I feel 30 and nearly choke when I look in the mirror (so I don't very often).

22. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 28, 2009

How about this.... When I was thinking about going to the International Reading Conference in May I kept saying...I can't afford it! And when I sat down to check fares I nearly dropped my teeth... I mean we're talking Chicago t o Minneapolis...how bad could that BE????

But then I started looking at Priceline, Travelocity, etc. and ended up getting flight, rental car, and hotel for a very good price. I stayed at an Extended Stay America (which I like a LOT!) in the suburbs rather than down-town. We were given shuttle transporation from a nearby hotel...so I would drive there each day -20min.- and get on the shuttle to down-town as if I were staying at that higher priced hotel.).. Since I had a rental car I took the first evening and went to buy groceries at a discount grocer and made my own meals. Considering EVERYTHING (Flight, 6 night stay, car, gas, and all meals), I did it for under $500 -the conference is not included in that.

If you did THAT...and grabbed all the schools in THAT area (instead of Alice's way of the trip there and back)...you could do a pretty decent job of helping yourself out. OR... look for discounts on rental cars from your home. Actually, I like the first way better. You can be slightly more at your leisure. (Ask a friend to go along? Hit a pool or bring a portable DVD player and lots of movies you get out of the library? ....and that's a fun, though short, vacation.)

Either way.... keep moving. :)

23. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

even that seems crazy to me. giving references here just means giving their name/number and letter of rec from them. No forms to be filled out by them or anything. there re an insane amount of districts in NJ though so maybe that has something to do with it

24. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

Alice- I'll be looking for your help when I'm looking for a job! You are such an amazing person to have on AtoZ!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

Thanks. As a math teacher, I'm good at problem solving, that's really all this is.

26. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 29, 2009

But Aliceacc, I think it is more than that! You are so sweet to have gone through the trouble of looking all of those districts up and posting them. It is so nice to have people like you on our side! :)

27. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

:lol:

28. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

Alice we really appreciate all your advice!!