Help, what do I do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Elm512, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Dec 9, 2008

I am in my last year of school for Elementary Education, I'll be student teaching in Sept. 09. I REALLY need a job right now. There are several openings in my district as well as those surrounding for various things I would qualify for such as teacher's assistant, etc. My question is, I have practically NO work experience in the last 5 years. I have been staying home with my son who is now in Kindergarten. What do stay at home moms write in this situation? I feel like I am constantly being passed over for positions because not only was my last full time position 5 years ago, it was WAITRESSING! Ahh... Any advice would be soo appreciated.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2008

Well, a resume wouldn't be the appropriate place to "explain" the five years you've not been working, a cover letter would be. I don't think you need to explain the five years of not working though because you're just starting your career in education. If you had been a teacher five years ago, then an explanation would help. You need to go at it from the angle that you're starting your career in education and you're seeking a job that will allow you to put the methods you've been learning throughout your education prep. program into practice.

4. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Dec 9, 2008

Thanks for the response. I guess the hardest part for me is when they ask for "outstanding references from prior employees" etc.. I am young, 5 years ago I was nineteen and a waitress. Every single job I'm looking at has 3 references from prior employers required. I am stumped. I have never in my life had a job substantial or long enough that they would even remember who the heck I was after all of this time.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2008

I totally hear you and I've been there - very recently. Since you're student teaching, what about your university supervisor and your cooperating teacher(s)?

6. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Dec 14, 2008

I used cooperating teacher, university professor and practicum supervisor. I haven't worked in over two years. I know how you feel.

7. History Nut

History Nut Rookie

Dec 15, 2008

I tell my students (I work in job placement at at private college) that they should use their professors, any internships, etc. Also, most jobs keep records at least a few years on hand so the can verify dates.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 16, 2008

FYI--- you HAVE been working... a SAHM is a wonderful position to have. I'm sure that now that your son is school, that you did some kind of preparation for him to start out on the right track. I'm sure you learned something about children during these 5-6 years of having your own child--- I'm sure you also planned interesting and educational activities for your son as well.

You could possibly focus on this as your experience instead of just saying you have none! You do--- it may just be a different type of experience, but you've been living with a child day in and day out for the past few years and might actually know more about kids than some other new teachers, who are just starting their careers in teaching and never really worked with kids before (like myself).

Good luck! :)

9. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Dec 20, 2008

I would avoid emphasizing or focusing on the time you spent as a stay at home mom. While it is definately great experience and incredibly hard and rewarding work, interviewers generally tend not to view it that way. It's a sad reality. Your job interview is not the place for us to fight this battle.

I agree with the posts about using professors, mentor teachers and mentioning that you are entering this field. If you find that you aren't getting calls (this happened to me at first) try subbing a bit. Alot of people find it leads to jobs, and if not, it will at least give you a decent reference.

10. scott connuck

scott connuck Rookie

Dec 25, 2008

Since your little boy is now entering kindergarten-- why not volunteer at his school? Make your presence known to ALL-- eat with the teachers in the cafeteria, talk with the principal for a few minutes each day (just a quick hello will do!) Discuss that you are looking for a job in the teaching field, and before you know it, you will be asked to sub long term, then, when you prove to be the outstanding teacher you know you are, you will be hired as a full-time teacher! First-- GET THAT FOOT OF YOURS IN THE DOOR!!!
    The squeaky wheel DOES get the grease!!
    Hope this helps--
    Scott Connuck