Help! We need a Chemistry Text Book suitable for 5th grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by lvnlife287, Oct 29, 2009.

1. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

Oct 29, 2009

Our text book is out of print and the publishers will not let us copy it. Does anyone know of any textbook for 5th grade Chemistry?

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 14, 2009

How much chem are you teaching 5th graders to need an entire book?!? Chemistry is an awfully abstract concept and not developmentally appropriate for concrete thinkers much past fairly simple concepts.
    We use Great Source's Sciencesaurus. Good general science text, modern look with lots of diagrams, short reads.

4. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 15, 2009

There should be no Chemistry text book for 5th grade. You should ask for chemistry lessons designed for 5th grade.

I once subbed a 5th grade and during the science period, the topic was a Chemistry topic. Having majored in Chemistry, I have this to say: The chapter lesson must have been designed by an oxymoron to be expecting kids that age to understand the topic of dissolving solutes in solvent using those terms. Kids didn't even know that aqueous refers to liquid.

I personally think that Chemistry should be left for high school kids. Lower grade kids can be exposed to Chemistry without the title of "Chemistry" by providing a Science lesson without using strong Chemistry vocabularies. Just my 2 cents.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2009

Prentice Hall has two chemistry Science Explorer books. Its aimed at grades 6-8, but its little mini units in one book not a huge text book.