Help We are in School Improvment Yr 2 and I Don't Even Know What that Means!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MWMnElmed, Aug 18, 2009.

1. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Aug 18, 2009

We were informed today we will be in school improvement level two this year and I'm not even sure what that means. We have a large percentage of free and reduced lunch and a very diverse population in our student body. I'm not sure how to go about meeting the various needs my students have.

I'm also told a group called "Aha" from Ruby Payne will be coming in to help evaluate the school. Does anyone know anything about this process, how to target the skills these kids need and to live with the insanity of these standardized tests????????

3. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 18, 2009

I believe it means not enough of the students passed standardized tests

4. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Aug 18, 2009

Okay I get that part of it. I don't know what to expect with the label of "2nd Year School Improvement." I'm also looking for some comments from people who have experienced, or are familiar with the aha group from Ruby Payne. What did they have to offer and were they beneficial?

5. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

It typically means that your subgroups are not meeting the state target for proficiency. But this can vary from state to state. This is probably why the "Aha" group is coming in....to help target that specific subgroup which is most likely struggling to improve.

With each year of PI, the state will become more involved and the parameters that they set will become more intense. In CA., with each year in PI, new guidelines are set such as: extending the school day, offering tutoring, decreasing class size, etc.

Eventually, by year 4 or 5, significant changes take place such as replacing leadership staff, teaching staff, or closing the school down. Most schools work hard to get OUT of PI before it gets to this point.

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 19, 2009

Our district was all into the Ruby Payne thing a few years ago, but then there was some kind of talk about her research not being valid for some reason (can't remember exactly what). The district just dropped her like a hotcake, no explanation or anything to us. She's interesting to listen to, but very expensive. I didn't really use her teaching methods in my room, though. I found Baldrige to be much more productive.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2009

For you to be at level 2, at least 1 sub group has not met AYP for 2 years in the same category.

I've not worked at a school that has had that problem. We've had the same sub group not make AYP, but in different catergories so we've stayed at Phase 0.

My guess is that this group is going to come in evaulate what you are doing with the group that isn't making AYP and then make suggestions as to how to improve.

8. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 19, 2009

It means that the children in your school are not meeting state standards on their standardized exams and that the white knights will be coming in to save your school by observing and suggesting things you must do to improve your children's test scores.They can be helpful if they do there job in a fair way whose only aim is to improve the learning in your school.
    In NY we solved the problem by dumbing down the test and scoring and everyone is happy,well maybe not the children when they get to college and find their fantastic test scores are misleading.
    I hope this wonder team helps to improve behavior, attitude and caring as well as actual learning. Do your best and don't worry about it,.Care about the welfare of the children in your class.Good Luck.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2009

Were you in this school last year? What I find hard to understand is why the school hasn't been doing a lot of professional development over the summer, educating teachers and preparing them. There are serious consequences if this trend continues and you would think by now they would have a plan and be working the plan more proactively than waiting until now which is the beginnning of the 3rd year.

10. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 19, 2009

My school didn't reach AYP for 6 straight years. Hopefully that changes this year.We have EMOs in our school, which I heard don't really work.

11. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

We are in year 6 for school improvement for Math..."restructuring" they've called it, but no one still knows what that means. Plus we didn't meet AYP again last year...so technically we're in year 7 I suppose.

It should be an interesting year...

12. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

We are in Year 5+ (um, wouldn't that be called 6?) but nothing has changed in years. We are technically in the part of the plan where there should be restructuring, but haven't seen any part of it.

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 19, 2009

We are in our 3rd year of not making AYP, but we received an "A" grade from the state. Restructuring here means coming up with different action plans for our sub-groups, sometimes all the teachers in the school are re-interviewed, sometimes admin is replaced, teacher have to sign a contract saying they will work longer hours, take training,etc. One of our sub-groups was children with disabilities and those are our SLD children. They have made progress every year, but not moving up the percentage that is required. By 2014, 100% of those children will have to be on grade level. I don't understand-they are SLD, they are making progress-how can every child be on grade level??

14. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Actually we were in School Improvement level 1 last year but somehow the state screwed things up and didn't let us know. We have had Ruby Payne in the district for the past three years and honestly she has a lot of interesting stuff about children from poverty, but I haven't seen much that is effective in helping bring student achievement up.

We have a large group of students from minority populations and several from low income backgrounds. As I see it one of my biggest challenges is getting the students to be concerned and motivated regarding their own learning. I know if I could help them take more ownership in their own learning and successes then the scores would come up on their own. Does anyone else face this problem, and what have some of you done to help get your students involved in their own learning?

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2009

I'm not sure what you mean by SLD, but I'm guessing that means "special ed" in whatever form that takes. Isn't that the million dollar question? How can these kids who may have any form of disability all be on grade level? How can they be expected to take the same test as everyone else and perform at the same level? In Michigan, there's a seperate test that some kids can take, for those with severe disabilities (think cognitively impaired). But only a certain percentage can take the test. If you go over that number it works against you.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2009

Here in TX, if a school does not meet AYP or receives 'Unacceptable' rating for 2 years in a row, the state comes in and basically cleans house and teachers let go have to reapply for their jobs. The high school in my district will probably have this happen b/c of high school graduation rate. The state requires a 73% completion rate, and our district was at a 72%. It stinks!

17. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 20, 2009

Read these posts and tell me the people running the show care about our children,their growth as people,their ability to adjust to the world around them.their future ability to be successful in their world, their ability to relate to others.or write clearly or many of the other things they must learn to be productive in the world today. No, Our schools today are judged solely on children's test scores and if they do not meet certain artificial guidelines you and your school and your children are labeled as failures and your life might be turned upside down.HELP!!!

18. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

We are year 2 and already feeling the crunch. Longer hours, more meetings, more testing, and more stress. The test scores do not take in to consideration other factors such as home life. With a lot of kids at my school the stuff happening (or not happening) at home effects their learning at school. We can only overcome so much as teachers. It's pretty scary and it has a lot of us nervous.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2009

It is incredibly hard to make kids care about their learning if they've taken that path.

There are lots of things teachers can try, but sometimes it feels like you're digging away at a mountain of conditioning...(If I'm making any sense.)

20. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Aug 21, 2009

I try to look at the bright side.

I have worked in several roles in the corporate world and the military where I didn't feel challenged. I've never felt that way teaching elementary school!