Help! Walden Masters Students!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Weazy, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

This is for all you who are taking Walden online classes...

O.K. I did the student readiness orientation and I am still overwhelmed with taking online classes. Is it as confulsing as it seems? I posted my hello just fine. I still have to do my reading and apparently there is a website that I have to run my papers through to ensure I didn't plagiarise.(turnitin.com) Just navigating around the Course website can be confusing. PLEEAAZZEE tell me that it will get less confusing. I want to do well, but I find that I avoid going to the website because I'm so intimidated! :( I'm not tech savvy, but I want to overcome my fear. Anybody else have the same fear?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2008

It is not as bad as it seems. I have had no problem getting things turned in. Once you get into the class, it shouldn't be that bad. I have never turned in a paper to that website.

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

We have been told that it is university policy. Oour papers must be run through turnitin.com first. If not, it will not be accepted. It is my understanding that this will be for all my classes.

I have looked over my syllabus, and I don't have a problem with that at all. I just hope that I don't have a problem with the dropbox and "stuff" like that. I still haven't been assigned an email account, or at least to my knowledge.

Oh-and after reviewing my syllabus, I think I have been sent the wrong dvd simulation video for one of the projects! I will email the professor tomorrow and check that out.

My class is Teacher as Professional, and the instructor is Marie Larcara.

5. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

Like I said, I never submitted a paper and all mine were accepted just fine. I think everyone's first class is Teacher as Professional. As far as the email account is concerned, I have received all my emails through the email I applied with. I didn't have a problem getting around the dropbox or any other stuff.

6. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I will just take it one day at a time. I tend to be a worrier. As for Turnitin.com. This could be something they are starting with fall semester. That was received from Walden, not the professor. We were told not to wait until the last minute to submit out papers to this source (on Sunday nights when papers are due) because of an overload and it could cause our papers to be late. You are fortunate if you do not have this extra step to deal with. Possibly, they have had some issues with plagiarism lately.
    I am planning on using the email account I signed up with, but the orientation said something about a school account, so I was under the impression I needed one. If I don't, GREAT! One less thing to manage.

I just need to adapt to my new schedule and not let it control me. Thanks for having such a cool and calming tone.

7. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

I think there is a school email account, but I haven't ever used it, and wouldn't have the first clue as to how to get it.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

I am just starting too, and believe I read that it is up to the professor whether or not you have to turn your papers in. My professor (different than yours) had an email in the email section saying that we had to use it. I tried to login, and it said my info was invalid. I will try it again tomorrow when class is supposed to begin.

I did my discussion for Wednesday today, and my 2 replies. Going to start on my paper tomorrow night. Doesn't seem too bad so far. Hoping I did my discussion correctly!

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

Also, I am worried about the website stuff, but I am going to print it all off when I get to work in the morning (I am out of paper). I think it will be easier if I can see it in hand instead of trying to read the screen.

10. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

My professor told us that it is required by the university? Who knows? They will tell us what benefits them.

I agree with you. I want to print mine out as well, but I am out of ink. I ordered it yesterday, but it won't be here until later in the week. I will probably print it off at school. Hope they don't mind, but I need to have it in my hand so I can look at it. In fact, there is a lot I want to print off and put in a binder. I will make my own little reference guide. :p

I will start my assignments tomorrow. I have several chapters of reading to do already. I just had to give myself this weekend to mentally prepare. (and my in-laws were here for a get together)

11. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

I haven't been able to get into my class. Every time I do it says the webpage cannot display the website because of invalid log in. I never had this problem before. I hope it gets worked out before tomorrow.

12. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

Do you mean "Go to your Class" and it won't let you?

13. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

Exactly. And class starts tomorrow! :eek:

14. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

Ouch! I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I did for awhile with my SRO class. Finally, today I was able to access it again. Hopefully, you will be able to access your class tomorrow. I am too new to this process to offer any advise...I'm sorry. :( I will be anxious to find out if you are able to get in tomorrow.

15. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

I'll let you know!

16. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Sep 1, 2008

I am starting the same class. I am going to submit my discussion post tomorrow. Very excited - I look through all the weeks and I don't think its all bad. I mean, post to the discussion board & a paper due for each module - not bad at all!

17. smalltowngal

Sep 1, 2008

Finally able to get in! I think this class will be very interesting. It's finally getting into the meat of the program.

18. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

Which class are you taking this time? My first assignment deals with paraphrasing--I can handle that. ;)

19. smalltowngal

Sep 2, 2008

This is my second class and its Designing Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment, Part 1. I haven't received my textbooks though. :eek: