Help w/ non writer or drawer for Writers Workshop

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hojalata, Sep 19, 2010.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

We are starting writers workshop tomorrow. I am going to model how we can draw a picture and then use labels to show what is happening in the picture. The problem is, one of my little boys can't even draw. In art, he didn't know what a square was, and couldn't draw one when he was shown how. His fine motor skills are absolutely nothing. I am trying to figure out how to help him so he doesn't shut down (something he is accustomed to doing), but will get something out of the workshop.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

Has this sweetie been tested? Seems like AT LEAST an OT should have a look at him...Get in contact with your child study/special ed people first thing on Monday.

In the meantime....Maybe have him bring in photos or magazine clippings of things for which he has writing ideas. You could then have him dictate his story to you or to an aide or into a tape recorder...Can he word process on a computer?

4. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

He receives OT services, but just once a week. He has an IEP, and receives services, but will be in the room every day when we are doing writers workshop. (He'll attend a "Writing Club" 2x a week at a different time). No word processing, but I like the idea of the tape recorder.

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 19, 2010

I would definitely talk with his OT then and ask for ideas from her. I know I have an OT for one child, and a PT for another, and they are both fabulous resources.

Also, what are his verbal skills like? Could he dictate to another student (or you)?