Help w/letter recognition!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by misst1976, May 11, 2008.

1. misst1976

misst1976 Companion

May 11, 2008

So, I have a student that still has difficulties with recognizing the letters, but knows the sounds! Weird! I also have one who only seems to understand Spanish and just transferred into my class. I've doing one on one and small group, but very little progress. What other activities should I try?

3. yorkyfan

yorkyfan Rookie

May 11, 2008

What activities have you tried so far?

4. misst1976

misst1976 Companion

May 12, 2008

using the alphabet arc w magnetic letters, abc cards, matching letters. The first child needs to sing the abc song in order to name it. He does the same thing with numbers. He has to start at 1 to count and find the number.

5. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

May 12, 2008

We have a teacher who teaches phonics starting at /a/ and goes to /z/. As you point out, the kids can't identify letters without starting at /a/ and what they need is to decode letters/sound instantly.

I use Jolly Phonics. The first 6 sounds they learn are s,a,t,i,p,n. With these 6 sounds they can make lots of 3 letter words. We then start to put the sounds together. There are supplementary materials that go with the Jolly Phonics system (CD, DVD, books, etc) but each sound has an action which helps to reinforce the sound. Eg, the /s/ sound is a snake in the grass and you move your arm like a snake. The /t/ sound is as though you are watching the ball in a tennis game and you move your head back and forth watching the ball. There are songs to go with each sound and the children have so much fun.

To reinforce letters, I have cut letters from sandpaper and glued them onto card so they can feel the letter shape. We also do this as a pair activity where one person is blindfolded and the other has to guide their pointer finger so they feel the letter shape. We playdough letters, write the sound in shaving foam, rice or sand.

I do not focus on the name of the letter as my students are mostly ESL and I have found that it is too confusing for them. We usually only use the name when we ask, "How do you spell ...?". I do teach the names of the vowels.