Help! Vacuum-sealed bags for packing?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Kat53, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 25, 2016

Has anyone tried vacuum-sealed bags to save space in a suitcase? I'm making an international move this summer, and I'm trying to be strategic with my packing. I'm not worried about weight limit, but rather fitting clothes (including winter sweaters and coats) into two suitcases. I'm really looking for info if it really saves space, and if it ruins your clothes when you take it out of the bag. I would assume there would be wrinkles, but would it "crush" a down-filled parka??
    Any other moving/packing tips would be appreciated if you have them.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2016

We used the little travel bags for a trip where we did not have a vaccuum. They did help. We were even on trip & hubby stopped to buy some for our winter jackets in the car (he couldn't see out back window). They worked great. I use them for comforters, afghans, pillows, & seasonal clothes. I have never had issues clothes. I can never get my bags as flat as they show on TV though! :(. I would not hesitate to use them if I was packing!

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2016

You have reached the one drawback - you can get the clothes in the suitcase now, but the weight is very high. Maybe I should say very high for me to get into and out of the car by myself. Some wrinkles, but the down and other items that insulate because of the trapped air do bounce back without any problems. Some of the bags can be used without the vacuum, because they have a one way valve that lets the air out as you roll the bag, without letting the air back in until you break the seal at the zipper area. I travel with them when I am going to be gone more than a couple of days, and I have several sizes. I always take an extra bag with me, just in case I shop wherever I am.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 30, 2016

I purchased some of those big vacuum bags for my blankets, and they didn't work. As soon as I turned off the vacuum, the bag slowly started taking in air again. Now if I packed them in a suitcase that wouldn't have happened as much, but I won't ever buy them again for general storage.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2016

My bags are Zip Loc Space Bags, and they work better without using the vacuum, simply rolling them up. Obviously, if the zipper mechanism and/or the one way valve are defective, the bags are not acceptable - the air will return. When they are working, however, items will stay compressed for very long periods of time. I got my bags at a thrift store when visiting my sister. Bought clothes THERE, needed them HERE, so purchase a cheap suitcase and the bags - fixed my problem. I would like to give a shout out to Southwest Airlines - being able to check two bags for free is a godsend for those of us with "well used and aging joints." No more dragging multiple suitcases behind me, not if I want to be walking the next day!

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 30, 2016

Thanks for the info. I'm not worried about the weight, because I have some baggage allowance that I don't need to pay for. I'm mostly worried about making my winter clothes (especially jackets) pack smaller without damaging the integrity of the insulation or the "puffiness" for lack of a better word.
    I think I'll try a combination of rolling and vacuum-sealed to see if it saves space.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 30, 2016

And if anyone has some great travel tips/hacks, I would greatly appreciate them. I've traveled internationally several times to different continents, but really appreciate any feedback.