HELP! Unofficial Praxis English Content (5038) Score...

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by theaterish, Jun 6, 2020.

1. theaterish

theaterish New Member

Jun 6, 2020

Hello!

I quite literally just finished my English content and knowledge exam this morning and I am wondering about how much the unofficial score COULD change because of "select all that apply" questions. I received a 189 unofficial score and I need a 167. I feel like I had quite a few "select all that apply" questions and I'm wondering if I could lose a significant amount of points on my score from missing points on those.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jun 6, 2020

It is highly statistically improbable — almost impossible — for a scaled score to be corrected from 189 to 167. Though it would be premature, I can confidently say (not certainly) that you passed.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2020

Welcome to our green room, theaterish.

An unofficial score is a scaled score: it takes into account the questions with more than one correct answer, the questions that aren't scored because they're being field-tested, and the algorithm that, for this edition of this test, converts raw points into a final score. scoring scale for this edition of this test. Futuremathsprof is correct that the unofficial score is, in the fullness of time, almost invariably the official score.

It's prudent to hold off until the official score report arrives before popping any corks. But if you're inclined to go shop for any celebratory beverages, do so with (a) my blessing and (b) personal protective equipment.

5. Makita

Makita New Member

Jul 19, 2020

I just took the Praxis II 5038 ELA and I got a raw score of 110 and I'm stressing because in Alabama I need a score of 163 to pass. Any help understanding the score?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2020

If the score was explicitly labeled a raw score, it represents the number of points you earned at (usually) one point per question. 5038 has 130 questions; some question types (matching, say, or drag-and-drop) may have more than one correct answer and thus be worth more than one point, but there shouldn't be enough of those to make a raw score of 110 less than respectable.

163 is a scaled score: it's what comes out when a raw score is fed into an algorithm that (a) takes into account the relative difficulty of each question and/or the whole test compared to other questions and other versions and (b) equates the result to a score on a scale from 100 to 200. It is certainly possible in theory that your raw 110 could translate to a scaled score under 163. But even if I were a betting TeacherGroupie, I wouldn't take that proposition.

Let us know what your official score report says, please.

7. Tdolson

Tdolson New Member

Jul 29, 2020

Hello...I took the 5038 today and at the end it said my raw score was a 173....does that mean my unofficial score is a 173? In SC I need a 167 to pass. Thank you for any help...as I am confused with the conversions.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2020

Hello, Tdolson, and welcome to A to Z!

As I've previously noted, 5038 offers 130 questions, and raw points are doled out at the rate of one per correct answer. If 173 is a raw score, that would have to mean that at least 43 of the 130 questions are of types that have more than one correct answer (drag-and-drop or matching questions), so I suspect that that 173 is a scaled score. Whether you go shopping for a celebratory beverage now is up to you, but it's prudent to hold off popping the cork till the official score report arrives.