Help! Tutoring 9th grade English

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Upsadaisy, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 6, 2013

I've never taught this before, and now I will be tutoring a student in honors English. My only concern for now is that her curriculum won't be in for a week. That means I will have 5 hours with her during which I can do whatever I want. I know which novels she will be reading, but I don't know the order they will be assigned, so I can't start with that.

Do you have any suggestions? What would you do with a bright student (not remedial, one-on-one schooling) beginning 9th grade English?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 6, 2013

Expository Writing - can find a variety of prompts with a Google search.
    Nonfiction Reading - online articles, pose questions that require inference but she must cite the text for support.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2013

Teach the student how to do proper citations and formatting. You could teach your student how to use PurdueOwl as a guide.

5. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Sep 7, 2013

I would pick some short stories that are similar to the level she is reading and practice analyzing them and writing responses to them.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 7, 2013

All good suggestions. So, I'm still stumped. Writing, for sure. I found some helpful first week lessons on the web, but don't have enough.

Is poetry included in genre studies in 9th?
    Do any of you have your students get accounts on Goodreads?

7. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Sep 8, 2013

Poetry is 9th grade. Mythology is 9th grade. MLA format is 9th grade.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 8, 2013

Can you check out the 9th grade standards for your state, perhaps Common Core as well? That might guide you a bit.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2013

Hmmm, I'm not sure if it is worth it to check out the standards for just the first week of lessons. The rest of the curriculum is pre-set by the university that provides it. This is in a unique setting - one-to-one tutoring for students who opt for this type of education. Some of the students are athletes with many hours devoted to their outside regimen. Some are not athletes, but prefer this style of education. Some have parents who feel this makes their children more accountable and serious about their learning.

I think I know what I will do with her. She will have input into it, as well. Evidently, she is a serious, self-driven student who loves to read. That will help. I look forward to getting to know her.