HELP!!!! Trying to make a welcome packet?!?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewbieTeach, Aug 30, 2008.

1. NewbieTeach

NewbieTeach Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

Hello everyone! I'm going to be a first year teacher and im struggling to make a welcome packet for the parents to look at on the first day. I know i'm not supposed to tell them i'm a first year. I'm also clueless on what to include in this packet?!! Do i put my hw policies? Do i list ALL my procesdures? Rules? HELP!!! Can someone show me theres? it would really help this clueless first year teacher a ton!!!Thanks!!! :eek:

-Danielle

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 30, 2008

I don't have any samples at home but I can tell you what I put in my folder to parents. This is the first year I am making a folder. I want to keep my papers separate from all of the ones the school, nurse, cafe are sending home. I'm using the free folders I got from Staples. On the front I used a label addressing it "To the parents of ______"
    Underneath the label I explained on a postcard sheet of paper (made them in printshop) that the folder contains info procedures for the year. Inside I include when I send home HW, birthday policy, samples of my reading log and weekly spelling packet, a list of the class specials, how my weekly folder sent home on Fridays works, the importance of dating the HW assignment pad (our school issues a beautiful HW spiral bound book for HW), a blanket permission slip that allows me to take the children for walks into town and around the neighborhood. Hope this helps.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 30, 2008

I include the following in my welcome packet to the parents: a letter explaining what they can expect from my teaching style, more projects than they might be used to, fewer tests in some areas that lend themselves to projects, monthly bookreports, etc., duties the children will have as fifth graders (helping in the lunch room, safety patrol, etc.) my basic expectations, and any procedural changes from last year that would effect the parents. Try to keep this to one page. A copy of the homework policy in my room/grade level. Even if it is the same as last year, the parents and students may not remember it. I type out the policy as well as a statement for parents and students to sign saying they have read and understand the policy. A basic overview of the material covered in each subject area. It doesn't have to be long or fancy. Mine just says something like, "Math-A mastery of multiplication facts is crucial for success in 5th grade mathematics. We will be covering place value through the billions, longer multiplication and division, fractions, weights and measures, fractions, word problems and solution skills, (did I mention fractions?), decimal/fraction equivalents, and operations with decimals." That is all I send home in the packet. I will send home newsletters and post on the classhome page more detailed information as time goes on, but I try not to overwhelm them in the beginning.

5. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

PM me with you email address and I will send you mine as an attachment.

6. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I send my parent newsletter as well as district student handbook, lunch menu, insurance forms, emergency cards, health update sheet, invitation to my First Friday Breakfast, and lunch forms. PM me and I send you my letter.