Help! Trying to fulfill the curriculum

Discussion in 'High School' started by JerseyEnglish, Jan 21, 2008.

1. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

Hi Everyone!

I am a first year 12th grade English teacher. I feel like I am running in circles. I was wondering if anyone could help me with any suggestions for the following problems I am having.

1) My students have to fulfill a research paper requirement. Any suggestions?

2) We have to read 9 novels in addition to selections from the anthology. So far the students have completed 3 novels, 2 short stories, 10 poems, 2 essays, 5 projects, and will fulfill the debate requirement next week. My question is do you think if I assigned a book for the students to read on their own and complete a writing assignment on that book (I would give them a list to choose from from the curriculum that we are not reading in class) do you think that would work?

Any suggestions?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2008

1. First of all, ask other 12th grade teachers in your department. That's how I get all my ideas. You could get them to research a problem in the career area they want to go into.

2. If you have 6 books left to read, getting them to read one on their own is probably a good idea! I don't see why that wouldn't work with seniors - i do it with freshmen.