Help! Treasures Reading Program

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Momma5, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

I am COMPLETELY overwhelmed just looking at my manuel and about the 10 assessment books that came with it. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to use this program? I will be the only 2nd grade teacher in the building and the principal did not give me any info so far on how I am supposed to teach using this program.

It's saying that leveled books are included with this program, vocabulary cards, etc..but I don't recall seeing any of this in my classroom. I am going up on Monday, so I will have to look.

My biggest question..how do I assess my students the beginning of the year with this program? Also, I'm supposed to be putting the kids in leveled groups, or this is just suggested? This is all totally new to me since the only experience I have is ST in public schools where they used the workshop model and my cooperating teacher used power point presentations from another teacher for her literacy program.
    Help!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 24, 2012

I sent you a privaate message in regards to the Treasures series.

4. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 24, 2012

Thank you so much! Does it matter that I am not in Florida? Or is the program the same in all the states?

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 24, 2012

I don't think it matters at all. I have shared units with other teachers who were not in my state and they have shared with me. If you google "treasures reading series second grade" I am sure you will find other sites to help you. Also, if this is a new reading series for your district a rep from the series should be able to come in and explain things to you. Good luck.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

Honestly, pick and choose what works for you and what hits the standards. There is no way to do everything in the series unless you have a good 3 hours of time for just reading with another hour of writing.

7. PandaGrade5

PandaGrade5 New Member

Jul 18, 2014

Hello!

I am at a small private school in Florida and we just received Treasures for this coming year. I am so overwhelmed!
    Can anyone offer some advice for a new teacher who is about to go insane??

Thanks! :)