Help this poor SUB :(

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MsHiliasNYC, Oct 4, 2002.

1. MsHiliasNYC

MsHiliasNYC Guest

Oct 4, 2002

HELP!! Its my first subbing job (K-5) and they just wont listen to me!!!!!!!!! Its like, sub=party. I mean I know I cant expect them to be as good and quiet as they would be with the regular teacher, but I feel so unprepared. I don't want to give in and let them play for the period or the day, if thats the case. Do teachers get upset if the work that i give them is just busy work? Sometimes I cover a period that they are supposed to have art or music, but what am i supposed to do? I'm not a music teacher or artist... I mean if I'm left without any plans, what should I bring as back-up? What type of work is acceptable?

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Oct 4, 2002

If teachers are leaving you without any plans, then that's their fault if the kids don't get taught what they were supposed to that day- it's up to you to decide what you want to do.

I leave very detailed plans, but I don't care if the sub changes them. If I need a place value lesson taught and you do it on the board in groups instead of on the overhead independently (or whatever), I don't care. Whatever fits your teaching style. Most teachers I know agree, but some are picky. The picky ones tend to leave detailed enough notes for you not to mess up!

There are great books for subs in teacher stores and also tips on various websites (I'm sure there's something here, too) as far as management is concerned.

Also, if you can meet with the teacher you are subbing for the day before to go over lesson plans, you'd probably feel much better. My school has a permanent floating sub that we pay for out of school based funds, and when she knows where she'll be the next day, she pops in after the students leave for last minute notes.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 5, 2002

If the teacher doesn't leave plans then you can do what you want to. I would just invest in a couple of videos and request a VCR in advance. If the teacher doesn't leave anything, then it is his/her fault if the kids don't do work. The sub is not responsible.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 5, 2002

I am going to be out of school for the three days next week and I have left very detailed plans. However, I also left a TON of fun worksheets for the kids to do. I decided to do this just in case my Kindergarteners wouldn't listen to the teacher and she didn't feel comfortable trying to teach them. This will be the first time they will be without me, so I am not sure how they will react. If I get back and they haven't "done anything" so be it. I am just grateful that the sub is there so I am able to have the days off. :)

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 5, 2002

".....in case she didn't feel comfortable trying to teach them." ?????

If a sub doesn't feel comfortable trying to teach kids then they certainly should not be in the profession. Substitute teachers are just that. They are teachers hired to fill in when the regular teacher is not there. I know some are not educated in the field but they should be trained in how to be a sub. I understand leaving some fun papers but we should expect our subs to continue in the curriculum to the best that they can. I, too, feel that if they haven't taught what I left, then so be it. I will go back over the material. But I do expect them to teach something in my absense.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 6, 2002

I was a full-time sub for 2 years. I always had a bag that I carried with me everyday I worked. It contained worksheets, videos, books, short language arts lessons, ect.. Hopefully teachers will overplan and since the day is busy students won't have time to misbehave.

Now that I am a teacher I always make sure my students understand that the same rules apply even if I am absent. And, I always leave enough work, real work, to keep them all busy for the day.

Good Luck!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 11, 2002

I hope that you report to the principal when a teacher leaves no lesson plans. I was a substitute and had that happen to me-unbelievable! Like the other suggestions, bring stuff with you. Offer rewards to make them listen, stickers, candy etc. I don't do that in my class now but when you are a sub, anything helps.

9. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Oct 11, 2002

Well, It helps if you bring your own gear. Sometimes the kids try the " my real teacher doesn't do it this way". Depending on the kids you may get insight. Most of the time that is the case. In my system we have to leave a sub folder so subs will always have something. I always carried " Hey Listen to This" By Jim Terelese? This book is full of stories to read to the young set. They usually take 15 minutes. Then I had activities for the kids to do with 7 or 8 of the stories. At least they got some reading activity on days I was left with nothing. I also brought fun shapes for the children to write themed stories in. You have lots of choices. Also if you act like you know what you're doing they will think so too. I would also tell the class you leave notes for their teacher. Include helpful kids names so their good behavior will be reinforced.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 14, 2002

My suggestion is to always leave an HONEST note about how the students behaved. I want to know who misbehaved, as well as those who were very well behaved. If you say the day was fine & I have some "trouble" kids, I know that you're not giving me an honest assessment of how the day went! It's not a reflection of you. I leave very detailed plans, when I can! If you don't follow it, I'm not going to worry about it.