Help- Terrible behavior!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Aug 5, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2013

I agree!

One of the problems with many urban students is that they have little to no structure at home. I have had students whose only real meals came at school (supper was often a bag of chips at 10 pm). I've even had kiddos who didn't know where they were going to sleep each night. Then there are those living with grandma, the ones whose mom has a revolving door for "uncles," etc. I've had them come in reeking of pot, even!

The best thing you can do for your kids (and yourself, to be honest), is to create a very structured environment. It gives the kids a sense of safety - they actually crave it, though they may not know it - they will continue to test the limits until they learn what they are. To quote Dr. Phil, "they need to be able to predict, with (near) 100% accuracy, what the consequences (good or bad) of their action will be. By taking the time to get the rules/routines/procedures down pat NOW, you will CREATE time for instruction later.

Geez, I sound like I'm lecturing! So sorry - it's not intentional! I've been where you are now - I wish someone had told me these things BEFORE I started!