Help - tell me what you know about working with an Autisic boy

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by McKennaL, Aug 23, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 23, 2010

Just got the job. One-on-one aide. Autistic (6th grade boy)- though somewhere on the spectrum. Has sensory issues - especially with loud sounds.

That's ALL I know..I start in a few days. And I need to know where to get as much info as I can ....or where on the internet people would suggest to learn SOMETHING so that I am ready in ANYWAY.

I have worked with 2 autisic boys while I did my LTS (long-term subbing) in KINDERGARTEN. But now????

Man...tell me ANYTHING!!

*breathe breathe*

3. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

There is such a wide range on the spectrum that it is hard to give you anything without knowing more about the student you are working with.

By 6th grade I would hope they already have some structures in place that make things work for this student.

Honestly I would start by asking the classroom teacher or school if you could have access to more information about this boy (what is functioning level is, what supports he needs...etc.) so you can do some research. I don't know if its common practice there but if learning assistants are allowed to see IEPs I would ask to see that as it would give you information about current level of performance, accomodations, goals...etc.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 23, 2010

Want me to link you to a special education advocacy board?

You could ask the parents there for tips (Some of them have children with ASD)

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 23, 2010

thank you for this so far (and yes to the advocacy board).

I WISH I could tell you anything else...but that is ALL I know tonight (not even this young man's name). Tomorrow I have to go into the district office to fill out the forms, have my fingerprints taken, and such and such. I hope to contact the school to find out more about him and perhaps see what files i can see. I hope also to find out what school he came from (this is a middle school - so all 6th graders are new to the school) and maybe set up a meeting to talk to previous teachers.

School officially starts tomorrow but the paperwork and clerical things will keep me out of school for a day or two. Hopefully within that time I can do a lot of research.

I want to say hello and thank you in advance to everyone on this board. I will be asking aLOT of questions in the future - and you, folks, are going to be Godsends. THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!