Help! Teacher before me fudged reading scores!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by patti2, Sep 9, 2006.

?

Would you tell the principal?

1. No, I would keep it to myself.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I would "confront" that teacher first and let her explain.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Yes! I feel the principal should be aware of this!

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

I need help on what to do. THis is my first year teaching second grade, although I am not a newbie to teaching. I just gave reading placement tests to my class and they did terrible. Of the 16 students that this certain first grade teacher taught last year, 9 of them scored below level! That is terrible! But, I looked at her grading from last year and their end of the year reading tests and they COULD NOT be correct! She gave most of them an "M" which means Mastered required material! THe tests had to have been fudged or she read them the answers. Some of these kids can barely read! There is one girl that scored 17/54 on the test and last year she said she did a 92%! Do I go to the principal...who is also new? I feel like I am going to drop the bomb on some parents at conference time and I don't want them to think it is me! I am ticked that she would do this to these kids! What would YOU do?

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 9, 2006

I would meet with the principal and show the previous tests the old teacher gave them and the tests you gave them. You also might want to assess them again using a different reading test. Ask any of the other 2nd grade teachers if they have a reading inventory. After doing the second assessment and getting the results I would take all of this inormation to the principal. Then you and the principal need to have a meeting with the parents together. You should not have to face this alone and the principal definitely needs to know about this. Terry G.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2006

I would not accuse anyone of doing anything- even though you know the real deal now. I would present hard concrete evidence to the principal and parents to support what I am saying,I would focus on working their butts off to get them as far ahead as possible. I would let the principal decide about what else needs to be done, but otherwise stick to my teaching.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2006

Without making any accusations, I would ask the previous teacher for the previous tests (if you don't have them she should have them or know where they are). Mention that you are seeing a big discrepency and want to compare the 2 sets of results. I think that you do need to speak to your administration, not to put the blame on anyone but to make them aware of a situation that will surely come to their attention sooner or later.

6. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Sep 10, 2006

Also remember that your kids are not used to being in school yet....kid lose so much over the summer...it might be a case of just getting back into the swing of things. I know when I taught 1st grade...the Kindergarten teachers end of the year results and my beginning of the year results were way off as well...but then I reviewed Kindergarten skills...digraphs, dipthongs, and phonics rules for a few weeks...retested my kids and their scores were MUCH better. I would take that into consideration before you accuse anyone of fudging results...that could completely blow up in your face.

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 10, 2006

thank you

I appreciate all of your advice! I think I will chill out for a couple of weeks, continue to review, and then do Jerry Johns testing on the low children. I will then take the advice to just present it to the principal without pointing fingers at the first grade teacher (let her figure it out!). I have already got six "catching up" plans figured out to help these children, so I can present them to the principal at the same time. Hopefully, all will go smoothly! Thanks everyone!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2006

This is always a great idea...present possible solutions when you present a problem.