Help: Student "Bullying" Teacher?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by BookReader813, Nov 4, 2011.

1. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Nov 4, 2011

Deleted to protect identity.

3. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 4, 2011

They are only teenagers, but you should let it bother you. Part of being a teenager is exhibiting self control. If she can not do that, she needs some reminding that her disrespect will not be tolerated.

Next time, challenge her the second she challenges you. Tell her she may spend the entire period in the office until she can control her mouth. (Take her aside, though. She's probably all about her audience). Then, the first time she pushes you after that, send her. No more chances.

You are under no obligation to be undermined by students, and with her muttering to others during your class time, that is definitely what is going on.

Also, I wouldn't use the word "bullying" when you discuss this with others. It makes you look like a victim, when in fact, you are in charge of what goes on.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 4, 2011

Don't ignore it.

You seemed to tolerate it for the entire class. I would have nipped it in the bud with the first snide remark. It is blatant disrespect, and if I were a substitute I would send the student to the office immediately.

5. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Nov 5, 2011

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't think of the word I wanted to use, so I put "bully" in quotation marks. I guess I could have just said that I was blantantly being disrespected because I am really not trying to play the victim. I was just so taken aback by her behavior that I wasn't sure how to handle it.

6. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Nov 5, 2011

I did tolerate it, and believe me, I feel incredibly stupid for doing so. I've been beating myself up over this since I got home from school yesterday.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 5, 2011

Stop beating yourself up over it and let's make a plan for next time!

What are you going to do differently so the situation doesn't get out of hand? Is the administration supportive?

8. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Nov 5, 2011

I am not going to give her the chance to escalate the next time. If she says something vulgar or disrespectful about me, I am going to ask her to go out in the hall so that I may speak with her about the behavior. I will tell her that I heard several things from her on Friday that were disrespectful, that I let them slide that first day, but I am not going to tolerate it any other time I am there for her teacher. I am also going to add that if she cannot cooperate and keep her disrespectful comments to herself, then she can try to justify her behavior with the principal in his office. As far as whether he is supportive or not, I am not really sure how to answer that. He doesn't overturn teachers' discipline referrals, so I don't think he would do that to me. But, I'm not really sure.

I talked to my mom, who works in the school system, and she said that if I hear her say something about me I should ask her if she would like to share it with the class. The problem I foresee with that is she seems to be the type of girl who WILL say it out loud to rile everyone up and to get the attention. Then I will have to deal with the entire rest of the class laughing WITH her and AT me.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 5, 2011

I agree - I wouldn't ask a student to repeat their rude comments in front of the class. That is just providing an audience. I like your new plan - nip it in the bud!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2011

I agree that asking her to repeat it would be ill-advised considering this student doesn't seem to be one who would mind doing just that. If a teacher is going to say that ("Would you care to share that with the class?") or something similar I've heard, "Well, since you are talking you must know this content already...would you like to teach the class?", you must be prepared for the student to accept your offer slash challenge. Just not a great idea. If she makes any inappropriate remarks in the future she can simply spend the period in the office. If you were her regular teacher my recommendation would be different, but as it is, I would allow administration to deal with the girl.

Sorry she wad rude. But, remember, if you were truly lazy or otherwise ineffective, I am sure the school would be not be planning on using you in the future as they are. :)

11. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 7, 2011

It's over now, so don't frett. Next time kick that kid out of class after one or two warnings. She was testing you, and you failed. Learn from it.

Sometimes a simple, "Please don't speak to me that way, I am not talking to you like that, and I expect the same in return" works. Sometimes not. You might have to be firm. "The next time you talk to me that way, I will send you to the office, or next door, or the on campus suspension room" (whatever it is at your particular school) And then FOLLOW through with your threat.

And actually, in this instance, since you said she cursed AT you when she entered the room, I would have called a campus supervisor and filled out a referral form immediately. I don't tolerate any cursing at me. If they do it to each other, or in general, I say "watch your mouth" or whatever. But directing it toward me... no way!

12. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Nov 16, 2011

When they attach curse words to my name I include that in my notes with quotation marks and then I give those to the principal so that they can get detention. I usually have a 1 snide remark rule. If it's when they see there's a sub when they come in, they usually complain, and I let it slide, ignore it, and then it's over for the hour. If blatant disrespect continues, I usually call the student out in the hall, and I ask the student why they are upset with me, and tell them the behavior I expect. If I am getting no where with that, I tell them to gather their things and leave and then I call the office and tell them why I sent them there.