HELP SOCIAL STUDIES LESSON :help:

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1gdteach, Mar 1, 2008.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 1, 2008

Hi I am a Student teacher and I have to teach a lesson on SS and the topic is weather. It is for 1st grade can anyone give me some insight on how to develop a lesson plan for 1st grade weather that is a social studies lesson. Any ideas on where I can find some fun and interesting lesson to get started from... Any help with this is appreciated.

Tiff

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 1, 2008

I think things like seasonal changes are in the social studies standards. But it's also science too!

4. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Mar 5, 2008

I know in Missouri one of our standards is the compass rose and reading a map. You might be able to talk about the different types of weather in the North, South and etc.

5. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Mar 5, 2008

how weather affects behavior. how we do different activities and dress differently based on the weather.

6. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 7, 2008

Do you have any lesson ideas for this. I have searched, but everything seems to be for higher grades... Thanks for the idea:hugs:

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 7, 2008

Wow. I can't imagine weather being included as a part of social studies. We teach weather as a part of science.

I guess it must be different some places, but I've never heard of weather as a social studies topic.

8. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 7, 2008

I didn't think that it was part of Social Studies either, but in my CT SS book the Unit is called Our Earth Our Resources and the Lesson 1 of that unit is Different Kinds of Weather. That is why I am so confused

9. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 7, 2008

PS. I guess it's more like Climate and how it affects the way we live. If anyone knows what I am talking about please help!!! I am at the end of my rope.

10. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

That is probably it. That is one of our standards. I live in Virginia, if you're interested you can go to our Dept. of Ed. website which is http://www.pen.k12.va.us and go to Standards of Learning. There you will go to History/Social Sciences Resources. Then go to History and Social Science Standards of Learning Enhanced Sample Scope and Sequence Guides (2004). I'm not exactly sure what SOL number it is, but if you look on there, it gives a good idea for Climate. I did this with my 1st graders and they loved it. Basically what they do is they make a passport and you talk about dif. areas of the world such as, deserts, rainforests, etc. I also added to this. I made a chart for each area we "visited" and they had to draw things such as, clothing, transportation, animals, etc. on their charts for each place. They then filled out their passport and pretended that they went there and drew a pic. and talked about what they liked. I always read/showed them pics in books about each place so they could get an idea of how it was like to live there. This is where the whole how climate affects the way ppl live comes into place. We talked about the clothing they would wear, what type of house they might live in, what type of animals would live there. etc. Like I said my kids really enjoyed it and always looked forward to going to a new destination. I also added maps into this unit. Not sure if you do maps, but it's a good way to introduce them to the kids. You can show them places where deserts are and things like that.

11. maroki

maroki Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

We are finishing a science unit on weather but I can see the connection to "Our Earth Our Resources." As we've studied each different kind of weather, we talk about the way that kind of weather can help us, plants, animals, the earth, etc. For example, when we studied snow, we learned about how snow acts as a blanket and protects plants and animals that live underground in the winter. When we studied precipitation, we learned about how water helps the earth in many different ways (as a resource) by giving us drinking water, feeding the plants, keeping the soil healthy, giving us energy, etc.

As far as resources and weather, we use wind as a resource for energy, rain and snow as resources for drinking and crops, etc. You could tie that into a lesson somehow. Discuss several different types of weather (maybe have them brainstorm a list) and then have them match weather to resources we use.

Good luck with your lesson!

12. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 9, 2008

Get a map of the United States. Divide the states into about 6 sections. The sections would represent the type of weather found in that area say for winter. Be sure that the equator and the North Pole can be seen on the map. Explain that the closer you are to the equator the warmer you are and the closer you are to the North Pole the colder we are. The group of states closer to the equator would have warm weather in the winter. The states closer to the North Pole would have colder weather. Discuss clothing, activities that can occur.

This should cover weather and social studies.
    Follow up activity... Each child selects a section of the country he or should would like to live in for the winter. Draw clothing they would wear and activities they would do. Or choose a section they would not want to live in and explain why.