Help...Single Subject Decision in Texas Math/Biology

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lilpeace, Jun 30, 2009.

1. lilpeace

lilpeace New Member

Jun 30, 2009

Hello...

I am needing advise on which single subject to focus on for my secondary teaching certification in Texas. I have already received a B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Biology and returning to school to pursue a path in secondary teaching.

I have enough hours to start my certification courses if I stay with Biology but I hear the demand for Math is greater. If I decide on Math, I would need to take classes to fulfill the requirements before I even begin the certification process.

I like both subjects and would not mind teaching either one.

Please help in my decision with some of your workplace knowledge.

Thank you.

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

I'm not in Texas, but my graduate school is no longer even admitting candidates for biology certification unless they can get multiple certifications. They said they simply can't help them find jobs anymore. The math education program is expanding though.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

Math is definitely more in demand than biology teachers.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

Hi and welcome!!

I agree with smalltown girl... there's a much better demand for math.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 30, 2009

Physics is also in very high demand. I know our new science DC is having trouble filling the Physics Positions, as we need two of them because we have 3 levels of Physics.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

Right Brendan-- Physics and Chem spots are incredibly hard to fill.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

Yes, biology teachers, while not a dime a dozen, are certainly the most easily filled science positions. I don't know any science teacher who isn't a coach that doesn't have multiple area certifications. Math is much more valuable.

Now if you can get chemistry or physics certification, you'll be able to hand pick your job.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

I would replace "any science" with biology. I'm not sure what else there is besides Earth Science, Chemistry and Physics and those are all strongly in demand in most of the country. Middle school science is a shortage in my state as well. Certainly Physics is the most critical shortage--I am definitely not going to add THAT certification because then there is no doubt I would end up teaching that, like it or not.

I have seen a lot of .5 biology position posted. Having the math would give you a definite edge and would get your foot in the door somewhere, even if only for a .5.

One of the big problems is the sheer number of biology graduates. My university graduates ~20 geoscience, ~20 physics, ~50 chemistry and ~> 600 biology each year. A lot of the bio grads quickly figure out that there are not a lot of options with just the B.S. and they explore teaching if they don't want to go on to grad school.

10. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

Math is more in-demand, so I would go that route. In Texas, you just have to pass the content exam though, so after you receive your initial certification in one, you can just take the test to get certified in the other subject. Then you would be that much more qualified for a job.

11. sugasmile

sugasmile Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

I'm a math teacher in Texas. Lilpeace, I would enter the certification program under biology. It will be easier for you to get in your initial certification that way. Once you pass the TExES and go throught SBEC, sign up for the math exam. Like Mrs. Q said, once you get a cert, you can test for any other. I just took the test for Health and Speech. I will tell you that the Math test is 8-12. It has Pre-Algebra thru Calculus on it.

12. lilpeace

lilpeace New Member

Jul 1, 2009

Thank you to all who responded.

As Mrs. Q and sugasmile indicated, in Texas, once you have the initial certification, you can take a content exam in more than one subject that will qualify you to teach in those subjects, right?

This could be done without taking more university hours in a second content area.

13. sugasmile

sugasmile Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

Yes. That's why I suggested that you keep on the Biology track. Those Bio course are already under your belt. It will be cheaper just to add the Math certification after the Biology than it will be to switch gears and start taking a bunch of math classes now. I wish someone would have told that to me.

I am teaching Speech during Summer School. I only took a couple of communication classes in college for fun. I added the certification to help my AVID students. All I had to do was show my district my new certificate with Speech added.

14. lilpeace

lilpeace New Member

Jul 2, 2009

Thank you for your help. You have been a better adviser than the one I was assigned to at my university.