HELP Second interview TOMORROW!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ireland381, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ireland381

ireland381 Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Okay, so I had an interview on Friday for a 0.6 FTE high school chemistry position (first interview all year!) I finally heard back today, and they just called and said they'd like to meet with me again tomorrow.

No doubt this has to do with some of the not-so-great things on my resume and in my past...

First of all, I was fired from a private catholic school. That's a long story... ultimately they had issues with my classroom management. Problems that I think the worst of which were some ipods or Starbucks in the classroom. But since it happened more than a few times, they decided I couldn't handle a classroom.

Last year, I didn't get a job until October, when I took over a 7th grade science class. To be brief, I went insane. I couldn't handle the fights, the violence, the police dragging kids out of my classroom, the nonexistant parents, the special needs I wasn't trained for.... so I got out of that and subbed the rest of the year. I didn't make too many friends that way either, unfortunately, because I was so miserable in that position I wasn't really doing my best.

Basically, I've really screwed up some jobs and burned some bridges. Any advice on how to spin any of this stuff? I desperately need this job!

3. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Aug 19, 2008

First of all I would think that because they have asked you for a second interview in spite of all of that history it must be that they liked you quite a bit. So try not to worry and go in there acting confident!

As far as how to explain your history, I would say just be open and honest. You can use this as examples for how important you believe school community and administrative support to be. You can also express how dedicated you are to teaching. You have had these two nightmare scenarios but you havent given up and you are still passionate about teaching.

Good luck and congrats! I feel like a second interview is always a positive thing!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2008

I agree- The second interview is probably to get to know you better but I wouldn't say it is definitely about your past. I think you need to hold your head up high and if asked, be honest but not too specific. I would also agree that you should emphasize the importance of community and support! That is great advice!

5. ireland381

ireland381 Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Thanks for the support! I tend to think it's a positive thing too; I just want to be able to say the right thing when they ask me about that stuff. I know I didn't get good reviews from some teachers when I was subbing :(

I had a lot of mental health issues... severe depression that wasn't treated well, trying out medications, along with the general stress of it all... that all contributed a lot to my issues last year. I also was diagnosed with ADHD, which treatment has helped. I've never known whether I should mention "personal issues" or "health issues" that created a stressful environment, but assure them that problems are under control and will no longer hinder me in anway... thoughts?

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2008

I would not mention your health issues at all. It is not their business and they cannot legally ask you such things... so don't worry about that part of it!

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 19, 2008

If they do ask about your past, be honest with them--- but don't focus on any screw ups... simple let them know that you did what you thought was best in the classroom and explain why you handled situations in a certain way.

I also suffer from depression--- never went to a doctor about it but it's because I'm such a private person that I would rather deal with it myself. But I would never mention that to those who are interviewing me--- it can't help you get the position, sadly to say. I try to see it like this: this is a job, something like mental health is personal and so it does not have to be discussed at all with your co-workers unless it effects your performance. But I would only mention it if situations arise that causes it, that's the ONLY time.

Focus on your strengths and let them know why they should hire you--- we all come with baggage, bad experiences, and different methods of handling students, but we must not focus on them when job hunting.

8. MyMulligan

MyMulligan Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I agree that a second interview is surely a sign of good things! They wouldn't want to spend more time with you if they weren't interested.

That said, an answer to the question "what makes this time different" might be something to think about. I wouldn't mention the health issues in that answer, though. My husband suffers from clinical depression, as well. It is so frustrating that it is so misunderstood, but it is. It may lead to more questions than you want to provide answers to. I would focus on how the experiences helped you grow as a person and teacher.

Good luck!!:2up:

9. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Aug 19, 2008

Hi!

I agree with the other posts. IF asked about your prior experiences, try to talk about how you've grown from those situations instead of focusing on the negative. Also, try not to come off as a "blamer." I would definitely put thought into what you would say, but try not to worry too much. It probably won't be a huge focus in the second interview. In fact, I bet you are going in for a second interview because you must be very close to being their chosen candidate!!! Good luck!!!