Help Reading !

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 21, 2002

I have a problem...i would love to implement reading groups into my day with first graders. The problem is that the teacher before me never did them.and the kindergarten teacher does not either...f(from the sounds of it...no one in the building does) Being that no one does it...there are no books to do reading groups with....so i have a basal to go by. Any suggestions on how to teach reading whole class..but get to the ones who really need the extra help ??

3. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Aug 22, 2002

Check your school library. We have some collections of Big Books with 5 or 6 smaller versions of the same book. Maybe read the big book whole group, do picture walking, echo reading, etc. Then pull the kids in small groups to read with the smaller versions.
    I'm not a big fan of basals, but do you have a basal for each child? If so treat each story as it's own book. You can pull groups to read with you from their basals. Not all groups will be reading the same story at the same time, but that's ok, they would all be reading the same reading books anyway. You can even do this if you have say 6 basals, just make reading groups of 6 kids. The problem is they can't take the books home to practice.
    Next, go talk to your principal about ordering some reading books. In my opinion, reading books are fairly inexpensive when compared to ordering basal text books for every child.
    I hope this helps you...

4. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 22, 2002

When I student taught I had to use basals for the reading group along with books I chose from the library just like A J Damon already said. It's not as convenient as having a nice Language Arts system all set up for you like most places have but it can be done.

I can't believe that no one in the school uses reading groups!

I would recommend NOT doing the reading whole group. To me one of the major advantages of reading groups is that each group can advance at their own speed. This way one group can be reading a more difficult story than the rest if they are ready to. It will be necessary to group the students by reading level for this part of the day.

This is what I did when I taught Kindergarten.

You can divide your class into 3 or 4 groups and have a Center rotation. One group could be doing guided reading with you, another group could be doing a writing workshop activity independantly and the other two groups could be doing some other independant activity. These could be things like file folder games, using the computer, reading partners, listening centers, making words activities, the posssibilities for the two independant groups are limitless. My two other groups were normally focused around skills that I thought the whole class needed to work on some more.

Anyway, you can rotate the kids through the centers and that way you get to every group and do a guided reading activity with each group on a book that is on that group's particular reading level.

This might take a little more planning than just doing whole class reading but it is definitely worth it for the kids. There is no reason to keep 5 kids reading one story when it is below them just because everyone else is reading it. And there is no reason to read a level 1.9 book to the whole class if 5 kids really need a 1.4 book. I say read the 1.9 to the top 5 or 6, read the 1.4 to "lowest" 5 or 6 and read something average to the average kids. It is easy to find your kids' reading level, why not teach them on or slightly above their level?

Another benefit is the lower teacher to student ratio of reading groups. It's a lot easier to focus on the child when you only have 5 kids to worry about at a time.

This system worked wonders for me. Any questions and I'd be glad to answer them!

Nick

5. JAH

JAH Guest

Aug 22, 2002

A great teacher resource book for this is Fountas and Pinell: Guided Reading primary. They are put out by the Heineman Publishing Company.

6. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Aug 23, 2002

book orders

Start your kids ordering from scholastic book clubs or troll. Use your bonus points to get your own set of books, AND a lot of the ones scholastice sells can be found in that Leveling book by fontus and Pinell.:p

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 23, 2002

I agree with using a big book as a starting point. Using a big book can also mean you can canteach in themes rather than relying on particular times for English.
    Target strategies that students need and group according to that. Teach strategies then reinforce them with activities relating to the theme being studied and use the library librarians and parents to help your students get really into reading by involving them to share books taped stories and generally offer good roles. Maybe this could catch on to other teachers and the school wil get the bug!!

If you have access to the web there are some great places that are interactive and require reading skills of various ability. Sunshine online is great and very interactive! Ashton scholastic have good interactive sites too as well as usborne books to name a few - english.unitecnology.ac.nz is a great place to find resources for all ages and ideas for teachers as it links to other sites that may just come in handy too.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 25, 2002

I xanat believe no one in your school does reading groups. Ive taught second grade for many years. what Ive have done is use centers dividing them up in groups of no more than 4. while they are working in centers I would call students to the reading table or whatever area I was centered. The other students knew not to bother me when i was working with a small group. During small group I would listen to them read work on skills they needed. I would use the basal reader and last year I found a fantastic site that you could download and print books for the class and for small groups. This site has wonderful books for phonics, and for themes. the site is www.learningpage.com.and read the book Guided Reading by fontas and Pinnell. Good Luck