Help! Reading/Writing Ideas for summer for unmotivated student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SpecialEdTeache, Jul 2, 2009.

1. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 2, 2009

Hello everybody!

Well, I've been tutoring a rising fifth grader since he was in third grade. We've been through a lot together, but now that he's going into fifth grade, he's just not that into our tutoring sessions. I've seen lots of improvement, but am stuck as far as ideas for a writing assignments that will motivate him this summer. Part of it might be my master's classes have consumed my time. But, now that they are over for the summer, I'm still drawing a blank.

Any ideas to get him reading/writing? He's reading Babe...that's part of the title....Boy goes back in time to see if Babe Ruth really called a homerun or if he was just pointing at something. We just started it two wks. ago. Skipped last wk. because family on vacation.

Help!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

Is he liking the book? Maybe you could do some cross-genre reading about Babe Ruth, baseball...Pull in some non-fiction biographies on Babe- you could make Venn diagrams comparing 'facts' from the bio versus the info in the novel. Also read some sports magazines, newspapers clippings from the past (Babe's era) and now. Talk, talk, talk about what you read...you'll hit upon something which 'sparks' for him- use that for writing.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

I don't teach reading, but I do have an 11 year old son.

He loves to debate. So how about having him defend the idea that Babe Ruth was (or wasn't) the best baseball player ever. Maybe have him read a bio of a current player or something and support his answer???

5. SpecialEdTeache

Jul 2, 2009

czacza, that sounds good. where would i get the newspaper clippings? what would i type into google to get those?

6. SpecialEdTeache

Jul 2, 2009

He loves the white socks. the problem with having him read about his favorite player is that he gets stuck and chatters on endlessly about topics he likes, so I'm almost afraid to bring it up.

7. SpecialEdTeache

Jul 2, 2009

P.S. Yes, he loves the book. We've only read the introduction thus far.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

Did a brief search for you, there's lots out there. Start with this:

http://baberuthcentral.com/

PS- It's White Sox, not socks.

Don't be afraid of letting him talk- it gets the ideas flowing. As a professional educator, you'll know how to guide that conversation to link it to the reading, to organize the thoughts for writing...

9. SpecialEdTeache

Jul 2, 2009

Thanks czacza! I've printed out info about Babe from that link that I can have him read for compare/contrast with book and other activities. Also, I just found a section on "The Called Shot." Fabulous!

Alicecc, that is a great idea about the debate. I'll have him back up his ideas with facts! Thank you!