Help Preparing for my Maternity Leave!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Kteacher07, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

Hi all! I am a Kindergarten teacher going out on maternity in early December and will not be back until the following September.
    I have a few questions for those who took leave for the rest of the school year.

Did you leave all of your personal materials for the long term's sub's use such as academic materials I paid for myself like books, listening center books/tapes, etc? The majority of materials in my classroom were purchased by the school. I wouldn't want the children to miss out on things I would normally use, I was just wondering what others thought.

I am not required to leave plans (since they are hired as a teacher they are responsible) however I am going to leave her a month's worth of plans as well as a binder with pertinent information for the sub as a resource as well as last years plan book. Any other suggestions?

This may sound silly that I am even thinking of this but my classes have always been big on ordering books from Scholastic each month. Up until I go on leave I will continue this. Do I leave directions on how to do the order each month with my scholastic account or do I suggest she make her own and then she will earn the points while she is the substitute teacher. Thoughts?

Thanks for listening. It is a little overwhelming to prepare to go out on leave so I appreciate any tips!
    Thank you!:)

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2010

I would leave stuff. You bought it for the kids, right? I would hate for them not to have anything half way into the year. They will be used to a routine and I am sure the sub will take great care. Have your teammates spy if you're uncomfortable.;)

4. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Leave it you bought the materials to benefit the students.

5. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Leave everything that you bought that you can easily replace.

I would not leave my Scholastic info, though. I never want anyone to have access to any account that I have. Plus, your sub will be doing all of the work, so she should be the one to earn the points on her own account. I know that there are a lot of different kinds of order forms, so it might be helpful to leave the names of the ones that your students use the most with maybe short instructions on how your students are used to ordering (ie do you give them 2 weeks? cash only?, etc...).

6. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

Thank you for your thoughts. Looks like leaving everything and asking my other k teachers to keep an eye on things is the best way to go.

As for scholastic, that is what I was thinking too mostly because I felt like it was unfair for me to earn points in my absence. It will be easy since we only use SeeSaw in Kindergarten. I have ready made notes that she can fill in the due date (I usually give 2 weeks) of her choice and make copies to staple to the order form. I can leave her written directions on how to set up online ordering as well since parents often order through the web.
    Thanks!
    Any other suggestions on how to best prepare the sub for my class? She'll be with them til the end so I feel like I can give her the basic info but in the end, she has to do what works for her. And since I wont be back to take over again, I am not worried about her keeping my routines or ways of doing things.

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 31, 2010

Thank you for this post. I will be doing the same in February and it's nice to plan ahead.

8. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 31, 2010

I've had two subs in two years for the same person on my team. It's sort of leaving your room/space/kids in her/his care for the rest of the year, so if there's something you don't want to lose, put it away before you leave. The two subs that have covered on my team have been very professional and make sure they respected the teacher's space. Know that your sub will be ok and your focus should be on your baby and family.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2010

In my building if we have a sub coming in for an extended period of time, the principal arranges to pay that person to come in for a day while the teacher is still there. The teacher and sub can then work together on at least a few things; it seems to help.