Help please

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by punchinello, Jan 11, 2009.

1. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

I really wasn't planning on being very specific for conferences next week. All my kids are right on target and ready for K. My school has no formal assessment criteria, so I'm pretty much on my own.
    But now I am seeing I need something substantial to talk about with parents.
    Any ideas on how I can quickly assess a few academic skills so I can be more specific? I've avoided anything too formal because I really don't want to make the children feel like they are being tested.
    The social/emotional part I've got down...But parents might want to know how many letter sounds they've mastered.
    Can you tell I'm a first timer? :)

3. imat

imat Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

I use this school readiness sheet that I made awhile back. All the teachers at our center now use it as well. Parents like it because it is really simple to see where they are at now and then at the end of the school year. The K teachers really like it because we pass it to them at the end of the year so that they can see where the children stand with their school readiness skills. Here is the web page that i have them on. You can then print them out. http://kidsworldexploration.com/id72.html

Hope this helps.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 11, 2009

I notice that you aren't marking if the child knew the sound of the letter. I am wondering if that is scored someother way or if you are not required to log that? Just wondering. Also, we require rhymes (get two choose the third from list), pairs (lock/key, shoe/sock), and environmental print (womens restroom, mcdonalds and stop and walmart). Just wondering if you have had to do this.

5. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

Thank you! Your lower case letters were better than what I had...you use comic sans, right? The "a" is better....

So is it ok if I sit down for a few minutes with them and go over these things? I'm thinking of spending some one on one time with them in the reading corner. It's quiet and I can just pretend I am interviewing them, which we do with clipboards sometimes. I really don't want them to feel badly if they don't know something, though.

6. imat

imat Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

Yes we do asses the children in those areas as well, but it is not on our short form for the parent conferences. When doing our parent conferences we show the parents the child’s portfolio and the short school readiness skills sheet. And just touch bases on the other. Our assessment for our program in very extensive, we use the Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP-R) and also work off of our state standards which are the California Preschool Learning Foundations.

Here is a short list of our assessments:
    • Building cooperative relationships with adults
    • Developing friendships
    • Building cooperative play with others children
    • Awareness of diversity in self and others
    • Comprehends meaning
    • Follows increasing complex instructions
    • Expresses self through language
    • Uses language in conversation
    • Curiosity and initiative
    • Engagement and persistence
    • Memory and knowledge
    • Cause and Effect
    • Social-dramatic play
    • Number sense: Understands quantity and counting
    • Number sense: math operations
    • Shapes
    • Time
    • Classification
    • Measurement
    • Patterning
    • Interest in literacy
    • Letter and word knowledge
    • Emerging Writing
    • Concept of print
    • Phonological Awareness
    Link to the Desired Results for children and families
    http://www.wested.org/desiredresults/training/resources.htm

7. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Jan 12, 2009

I do a combination of anecdotal records, portfolios, and checklist-style forms. Here's a link to my assessment webpage. I have some alphabet, number, shapes, etc. assessment sheets on one of the pages. I use a different color highlighter to mark the sheets: yellow for Oct, pink for Dec, green for Mar, blue for May.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 12, 2009

Imat and Karen

Ok, now I feel better. These are much more what my forms look like. I was beginning to think I was assessing too much. Thanks for clarifing. I apparently don't have a short sheet for parents. We go over the full meal deal.

And, like Karen, I have a combination of portfolio, anecdotal and checklist. Light on list long on anecdotal.

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 14, 2009

Here's a link to the parent conference page on my website, you will find lots of useful info and tips there about how to conduct parent conferences and what info to share with parents.