Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starista, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 26, 2006

Hello! :)

First of all I want to say I am so happy to find this forums!! I am a 5th year teacher in the Ft. Lauderdale area and teach 1st grade.

I teach in a Catholic school and have 28 children!! I have one very special boy in my class who has been diagnosed with an auditory process disorder. This child never sits in his seat (and I mean NEVER), can usually be found wandering the classroom during whole-group and small group activities, sings loudly during both story time and seat work time, often rolls around on the floor when it is inappropriate, etc.

His reading is well below par and he can not complete a seat work activity without one-on-one assistance from my aide.

I have reported this to the principal/counselor since October and it was not until February that it was suggested that he get a whole battery of psychoeducational testing.

What I NEED is some strategies to cope. It is VERY frustrating to be trying to teach a lesson and have a child burst into song during the middle of it.

When I met with his father (who is quite intimidating) he said "My son says you hate him. Why is this?" I was so embarassed/upset. I have rearranged the whole classroom seating around this one child, made lesson plans to cater to this one child, etc. Basically I replied by telling him that I am constantly redirecting his son. :-(

HELP!!!!!!!!

:love: , Star

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 26, 2006

Welcome to Ato Z. I'm sure you will get lots of ideas and we look forward to gaining ideas from you. We have one guy who they found a chair with arms on it for him and it has helped him stay in his seat. Our boy isn't as bad as yours.

Sorry the dad made you feel bad. You sound so caring. He is lucky to have you as his teacher. He does need help.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 26, 2006

Hi, Starista. Welcome to AtoZ. Another Floridian! There are lots of us here. First of all, has the family agreed to the testing? The way we usually encourage parents is to emphasize the benefits the test results will have for the school in ensuring that we plan the most appropriate way to teach to their child's needs and strengths. If you can hang in there until test results are back, while praying that they are conclusive, they could be a wake-up call for the parents.

Your child's behaviors are typical of many different disorders as well as of an undisciplined, immature child. If I were you, I would treat the behaviors as though he had ADHD. There have been many, many threads on that topic and you can find them by clicking on the search button above and putting in the keyword ADHD.

I've had older kids with auditory processing disabilities and I, frankly, to this day don't know the best way to address their needs, unfortunately. I encourage the parents to get OT evaluations because often the parents don't know that OT therapy can benefit people with AP disability. Good luck!