HELP! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by brandi0718, Mar 20, 2013.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Mar 20, 2013

I teach 1st grade and I was told yesterday that I have to present a lesson. My lesson is going to be on the primary function of organs (stomach, skin, brain, etc). I am going to have the kids put into 4 groups and each group will get 2 organs. At their tables they are going to have different items and they will have to decide as a group which item could represent the organ they were given and they will have to come to the front of the room to present their organ, item, and explain how it could carry out the function of the organ. For example, they would have a straw and they could say that it cold represent the intestines because waste could flow through it. Anyways, I am having trouble coming up with items for bones, heart, and stomach. Any ideas?

Here are the items that I was thinking about for the other organs-
    intestines- straws
    muscles- rubber bands
    lungs- balloons
    skin- plastic wrap
    brain- sponge
    stomach- ?
    heart- ?
    bones- ?

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 20, 2013

This seems a little abstract for 1st grade!

What is your objective? What do you actually want them to do?

4. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Mar 21, 2013

The objective is to describe the primary function of the major body organs. That's why I was going to have them pick an item and telling how that item could carry out the organs function. They are going to have a flip book that they made describing the organs and their function and they will have their text book to flip back to....The rubric that I was giving says that they have to be creative, use real world resources...I wondered if this would be too difficult for them so yesterday we talked about the skin and I asked them to think of something that we could bring from home that could represent our skin and we talked about how the skin has to cover, protect, and be flexible....so when they started giving me ideas of things we could bring from home the majority of them said plastic or paper....so I think they get the idea...They just have to see how the 8 items that we have could represent our organs for example- the balloon could represent the lungs because it expands and you fill it with air......

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2013

bones---some type of blocks or kinex toys...

heart---bicycle pump

stomach---paper shredder? blender?