Help please! Problems with my 7th hour

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Sep 1, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Sep 1, 2013

I teach mostly 10th grade students. I teach the "lower" track class. My 7th hour is headed no where fast. I was sick on Fri and they were the only class that got a bad sub report which said only a few listened and most simply ignored the sub. This is just the straw for me. I've tried several things with them and they aren't turning the situation around. This is the beginning of my 2nd year and I was placed on an action plan for class management last year. I can't afford a misstep at this point and don't really have any intentions on reliving the misery that was my life last year. I'm a science teacher and was thinking of making them do worksheets next week while my other classes do the labs planned. (The worksheets also include those that apparently they refused to work on when my sub was there.) I also plan on grading them per page if they do it and by question if they don't. My dept. is standards based. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

What do you think the problem is?

How are these kids for other teachers? Are there one or two leaders you can identify?

I know they were bad for the sub, but that's hard to work with, so let's concentrate on how they are for you. When you say it's the last straw, what do you mean? What specific behaviors are they exhibiting that are unacceptable?

4. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Sep 1, 2013

They're better for me. I at least get them to do the work.

Behaviors with me:
    off-task
    need constant redirects and reminders
    talking
    socializing
    disrespectful to me and to each other...had to send student to the office on Thurs. for telling another child to "shut the f-ck up"
    they whine and complain
    etc.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

Have you contacted parents?

What is your school's discipline plan?

Can you issue detentions? If so, have you done that?

Besides sending the one student to the office, what are you doing when these students behave inappropriately?

6. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Sep 1, 2013

The school discipline plan has a few steps before we can contact parents, so I've done verbal recognition and rewards for students following instructions, verbal reminders, seat changes, hall and after class conversations, group discussions, with the one student I've attempted to contact parents but both numbers are wrong...she will receive a detention. That's what I've done so far
    I think at this point I can officially contact parents if needed.

7. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

Giving them worksheets is not going to solve the problem. Science should be about fun experiments and interesting videos that they need to respond to in writing. I pooped in a National Geographic DVD last year. The class was fascinated. Build relationships with them one at a time is my advice.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

Oh, I bet they were fascinated....

9. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 1, 2013

We need proofreaders in here! I meant popped. :eek:

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 1, 2013

It happens to the best of us, Milsey.

As for that 7th hour class, you may need to do a little rearranging of the student seating. Hopefully, by now you know which groups need to be moved away from one another. Have a seating chart on an overhead and tell them that this is how it will be for the time being, at least until they make wiser decisions about time and behavior management.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2013

One thing that helps a lot is keeping them too busy to talk.

Take an objective look at your class: are they working from bell to bell? Is there something that needs their attention from the minute they walk into your class until the minute they leave? Or are they spending time waiting for you to organize your thoughts, pass out materials, find the next powepoint or worksheet or whatever?

Work hard on minimizing your transitions... transitions can be deadly in terms of classroom management.

Build in as many routines as possible. How do you handle homework? Is there a way they can place it in a box or folder on their way in?(that would elminate the transistions involved in taking it out and putting it away.)

How does your class begin? There should be something up on the board, before class starts, that needs to be completed as you're taking attendance.

Take a critical look at your time management, and see whether you can tweak it to cut down on dead time.

Now, let's get back to that sub. When you get the chance, come up with another sub assignment for the next time you get sick. Make it generic, not specifically related to a paricular topic, so you can pull it out anytime. Find an article you KNOW they'll find interesting, or a video that applies to your material. And find a way to make them accountable-- they have to answer very specific questions. Tell them it's counting as a quiz grade. But do all that now, when you have the time to be picky and don't need to rush back to bed.

12. Cobalt_Waves

Cobalt_Waves Rookie

Sep 3, 2013

Call all their parents. This is like literally one of the last consequences at our disposal, since so many admins frown on office referrals and sometimes even detentions.

13. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 4, 2013

Great way to put it, Alice!

14. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 4, 2013

Did your school assign you a mentor to help with classroom management? Did they give you any specific advice for it? My school encourages observing other teachers at least once a year. I'd see if you can do this, even if it's during your prep...and ask someone who has a rep for great classroom management.

15. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

This sounds exactly like one of my classes. I have tried changing seats...in the middle of class if necessary, changed seating arrangements 3 times (and it's the 2nd week of school), tried rewards and taking things away. I've tried a busy schedule, being stern, and I'm ashamed to day that one day last week I yelled at them. I tried calling parents, and most of the numbers didn't work.

The good things are: I've narrowed it down to a handful of kids. Most of them in this class want to learn, I can see it in their faces. I have so many people who are wanting to help me get this situated, including admin. Despite all the challenges I'm having with this class, I love what I do, and I see this as an opportunity to learn and grow myself. I have made progress...a lot of it...with most of my classes. I believe I will get there. It's a learning process for us all, and we just need patience and perseverance. Hang in there! Tomorrow is Friday!

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2013

I think that sometimes teachers place too much importance on changing seats.

But the reality is that a lot of kids will misbehave no matter where you put them or who they're with. They don't misbehave because they happen to be seated next to their best friend, they do it because they want to, or because they like the attention, or because they think they can get away with it.

So I think that continual seating changes give the message to the kids that the problem is YOURS-- that if you find the optimal seating arrangement, they'll be good. It takes all the responsibility from them and places it on you.

I say you leave them where they are and hold them responsible for their behavior. Of course, do all you can to create an enviornment where they'll behave... teach bell to bell, watch those transitions, make your class interesting so they'll want to behave... all those other approaches.

But don't rely on that mythical "ideal seating arrangement" to manage your class.