Help please! Pay check...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by rachaelski, Jul 17, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

OMG I am so frustrated right now. Going backwards a year, I left a wonderful school in Memphis, where I was valued and appreciated (and very comfortable) to help open a school in Ohio. I packed my life and moved there. I was going to be a part of something great. Flash forward to October, the first school leader resigned, the executive director stepped in for a month as principal. He was awesome. Then, the new principal came. Her very first words to us were, "I could have fired you all and hired my own people, but I didn't." She led with fear and yelling (with teachers and students). I have never been so miserable in my life. I would come home from work and climb into bed for the night.

I moved across the country to escape! JK

Anyhow, back in March there was question (raised by me) when our last paycheck would be. After checking with the treasurer (who was not on our campus) it was determined that July 17 would be our last paycheck to finish out the 26 paycheck payout.

No paycheck this morning.

The whole staff is new: new business manager, new treasurer, new teachers. And it seems we are getting the run around.

What can I do? It's a stand-alone charter school, no union.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

Did you have auto-deposit? Definitely call them...

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

I've called the school, and the new business manager is not much help. She seems to be insinuating that the previous business manager should not have told us we were getting a check on the 17th.

My coworker has called the old treasurer, but she is no longer working for the school.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

So when does the new business manager say that you will be paid? If you are getting no where with the new management, I'd contact some legal representation to at least give them a call...your contract should have outlined your pay schedule...find it, and then call the school to inform that you are expecting them to abide by the contract or you will be contacting a lawyer...

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

My former coworker contacted the now former Executive Director (the school is not expanding to 5 schools, so there was no need for an ED). He gave us the email address of the board member who is in charge of financial issues. Hopefully, that will take care of it.

7. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

Within 15 minutes after contacting the board member, we all received an email from my former school leader (who had yet to communicate with any of us). Apparently checks are being cut today, and will be overnighted to us.
    :D

8. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

thanks czacza for your advice!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 17, 2009

What a mess! I don't know what to tell you, but I feel for you & hope they get their butts in gear! :mad:

10. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

I am glad that you were able to get your final paycheck! How frustrating for you!