Help, Please Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Classroom Photos' started by baseballmom, Jun 12, 2011.

1. baseballmom

baseballmom New Member

Jun 12, 2011

Just signed up and was checking out all the awesome rooms you guys have created. I am a parapro and have now been moved into the computer lab. Our building is VERY OLD. Actually our elementary is the oldest school in our small town but we will be the last to get a new one built.:( The room I will be will serve 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. The walls are a yucky faded light shade of green. (They said it was a left over color no one wanted but the whole school is this color.) Offered to paint but not allowed. Would like suggestions on a theme to decorate without spending too much money. I do want to put on one wall the keyboard made out of styrofoam dessert plates but want a theme to color the room. I'm not above buying scene setters. I thought of "surfing the net" and do something tropical but that won't last through the winter season. I also have to an Accelerated Reader bulletin board outside the library to encourage students to read for points. Any ideas?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 12, 2011

Personally I think it is okay to have a theme that doesn't last throughout the year, but it does require that you change it at some point. There are scores of elementary threads about thematic rooms. There are scores of google images too. Typically these get my juices flowing. I'm surprised the teacher doesn't give you any direction here. But then again, I tended to have discretion too if it was a good idea. :) I'm afraid I'm not too great at coming up with a theme but once a theme is selected, many here do jump and give fantastic ideas.

4. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 12, 2011

Hmm can u give us some pics of the room so we know the base color were working with? Also since your teaching Tech to kids, I'd go with a Light blueish color maybe a skyblue color. Microsoft logo art on walls, keyboard art on walls and keyboard charts are allways good idea. I'm obviously a tech so I embrace my nerdy side lol Maybe even mix in the Mac Apple Images and the Linix Penguin logo on the walls. Here is some of the logo's:

Linix:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rHu2sH2wLX0/TCQ_S6D9wII/AAAAAAAAAEk/FySA36ndcvc/s1600/linux-logo.jpg

Apple:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--5k8RKor2Bk/Tale5StxP4I/AAAAAAAABP0/GVvtybEPkpM/s1600/apple-logo1.jpg

Microsoft:
    http://www.bitterwallet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/microsoft-logo.jpg

If you need some custom art for your wall, just let me know. I do all the art work for my business. So art is kinda my little thing.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 12, 2011

Is there a way to tie your school mascot into the theme? Also, if you have the kids create charts as you go (maybe suggestions for researching a historical figure, etc) that would help cover some of that wall color. I always thought it would be cool for the computer lab to be decorated with a web theme.

6. MissBelle

MissBelle Rookie

Jun 23, 2011

I know how you feel! I just saw my first classroom and it is very old, run down, and a icky bright shade of yellow. I've been brainstorming ways to decorate and cover or tone down the color all day so if I come up with anything good I'll let you know!

7. baseballmom

baseballmom New Member

Jun 23, 2011

We are the Red Raiders (but actually look like Vikings). The custodians are working in there and are stripping the floors right now so I can't take pics; but the color is a faded pale green almost to the point of an off white. :confused:There are places where the paint is peeling. Is really in need of a paint job. I've been looking at scene setters. Thinking of making a bulletin board of "Surfing the Web" with a Raider surfing and on each wave make "safe surfing" rules. Will be working by myself with the kids on a program called A+. Our school just got it at the end of last year. Still open for any ideas.:help:

8. Noel

Noel Companion

Jun 23, 2011

I taught elementary computers for a few years before I moved to 4th. I didn't really have a theme when I was in the lab, I just decorated my room with all computer related things. Here are some of the things that I did....

I made a huge keyboard (around 10 feet by 4 feet) that was an exact diagram of the keyboard on the computers, this was a great reference for the students. Teachers loved it as well because it was easy to show students what key you wanted them to push.

I had a huge word wall, I took bright colored poster board (or you could use all black-so the words really pop), made each one 2 letters of the alphabet and then printed out technology related words and posted them there.

There was a bulletin board that showed the students step by step instructions how to log in, again, students referenced this through out the entire year.

There was a board/area that housed a calendar, schedule and other important school info. Again, this was looked at by many people.

I also had a "Safe Surfing" display, all kinds of tips, information, procedures about surfing the net safely.

Our school did "Free Rice" also, we used this on occasion and I had a board that showed what it was all about, how many grains of rice it takes to feed someone suffering from hunger, and then I kept a running total of how much our school raised.

Also around the room there were other computer/technology posters.

I hope this helps...I wish I had pictures for you but I never took any, now I wish I had!

9. baseballmom

baseballmom New Member

Jul 18, 2011

Room decorating...

I finally had a brainstorm but could still use the help. I really appreciate all who replied. You really helped me get the ball rolling. I've ordered the "decorate your own" giant school buses from Oriental Trading (which look like Doodlebug cars) and plan to brightly decorate them. I will make a curvy highway all along the walls with road signs that have websites posted on them that are recommended from our teachers. I also ordered a cardboard red light sign that I will stand in a corner and use for websites we will be working on in class such as A+ and Study Island, etc. I want to put up a "keyboard" on the bulletin board. I found an example on the bulletinboardpro website under computer lab. It is the one that is titled, "You "otter" love computers. I don't want to use the otter theme. I like frogs but can't seem to tie them in with the cars. Any ideas as to what I can do? I'm getting desperate with only two weeks left.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

As a paraprofessional, are you sharing this room with a classroom teacher?

11. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 18, 2011

I always display student work on the walls. Laminate different colors of construction paper (I use diff. colors for diff. classes) and hot glue to wall. Secure student work with paper clips. Give students an index card to decorate with their name. They LOVE to see their work displayed and I can tell who hasn't turned an assignment in yet. Credit to my good pal Terry Wood!