Help Please: Feeling overwhelmed as a student teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, Mar 23, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Mar 23, 2013

I am currently completing my student teaching in 3rd Grade. For the most part it is going very well and I have a wonderful clinical faculty (she is even one of 8 finalists competing for teacher of the year in our district). What I am struggling with, however, is my time management. I procrastinate way too much. Does anyone have any tips to help?

Secondly, I am also feeling very overwhelmed by all the work (as you well know) that goes into teaching especially with all the testing and helping students make up for when they are absent, remediation for students who aren't getting it, etc. I sometimes worry about whether I will be able to handle it all when it is my own classroom and I am by myself :dizzy: Other than that I DO enjoy teaching and love working with kids all day.It's mainly the planning/fitting everything in that gets to me.

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated!

3. Marylander

Marylander Rookie

Mar 24, 2013

Congratulations on coming to the end of your student teaching! Now the fun begins. First, you need to realize that there's never enough time when you're in teaching. Learning to budget time is crucial if you're going to succeed, so sit down and come up with a plan. Prioritize your needs and go from there. Putting it all on paper helps because you have a visual reminder, and you can check off items as you complete them. Never mind that your list of responsibilities grows exponentially! I think that training yourself to set priorities and budget time is a good start. You'll see that procrastination can be deadly for a teacher.

A hint about make up work for absentees. I have special forms that I keep for each child who is absent. As the day progresses I set aside papers and list assignments they'll need to do. If a parent requests the work, I'll send it home according to their directions. Otherwise it waits for a student's return. After that I no longer worry about it. That might seem uncaring to some, but a teacher cannot be everything to every student. It's a sure-fire burnout recipe!

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 24, 2013

:yeahthat:

Prioritizing is key. You will never have EVERYTHING finished. Never. Never ever. It just doesn't happen. I'll admit that I still struggle with this, but you have to learn to accept that you can't do everything. That's why it is so important to prioritize what must get done first, what can wait, and what you really don't need to do at all.

I keep a running list of ideas (things that I want to implement or do that I just don't have time for right now). It's currently titled my "for summer" list, because I know that I probably won't have time to get to any of those things until then.

I also keep a running PRIORITY (meaning it must get done asap) to-do list at the bottom of my daily lesson plans. I like having it in electronic form because I never get to the point where it's all crossed off, and I'm constantly adding things to it. If it was handwritten, I'd constantly be rewriting it. Having it in electronic form allows me to delete things when I finish them and add new things as they arise.

As far as time management, you have to be self-disciplined. Decide when you're going to stay late or bring work home....and follow through! Also decide when you are going to set everything to the side and have some time for yourself. I already mentioned that you'll never have everything finished, and that's why it's so important to schedule time for yourself (again, I still struggle with this, too!).

Always keep in mind that it's very common to feel the way you do. It's not just you. Knowing that helped (and still helps!) me get through those really tough and busy weeks.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2013

As has been said already, you simply can't do it all. Which sucks. But I was working quite late every day, going home to grade, and going to school Saturday and Sunday and not doing everything I wanted to. Decide what you must do and choose a few things that you or students simply enjoy and focus on that. You may realize a teacher down the hall is doing something really cool with her kids and it may make you feel inferior, but she's not doing that cool thing you are. It mostly balances out. Not always, but you can't constantly compare...especially as a new teacher.

Stay with us here and ask questions when you need to.
    Visit other teachers to get ideas.
    Use Pinterest. :)
    Use various other online tools...perhaps Twitter.

If you struggle with procrastinating, I would perhaps make sure you are good to go for the next day before leaving in the afternoon. I love doing that. It's so nice to go home and breathe.

6. robertlahm2

robertlahm2 Rookie

Mar 26, 2013

Hey dont worry, stay calm. When i was at your stage i also felt that have too many things do but had very little time. What i used to do is, i noted things to be be done in my diary according to the priority. Let me tell you it helped a lot. I am working with Ikids and i always have someone to help me that makes a life a bit easier. If you handled till date, i don't think there will be any problem in future.All the best!!

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2013

It is a lot to juggle but with more experience you will get better at it and it will come more easily to you. Expect that your first year you will feel a lot of this. That's okay. You will be learning. Give yourself time and allow yourself to make mistakes as long as you reflect and do things differently the next time. Don't be too hard on yourself. It's all about how you handle each situation you find yourself on. Mainting a healthy state of mind and healthy lifestyle will help you deal with the stress in a positive way.

8. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Mar 27, 2013

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and tips!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2013

Hang in there!
    It can get better.
    You need to make time to pamper yourself, so you will not feel stressed out all the time, and write down a time schedule that you need to follow! I work better when I write down what I needed done, and I tend to follow it when I see it on paper.
    PRIORITIZE and pray for help with everything. It can do wonders for your mind, and your actions will follow.
    Good luck!
    Rebel1

10. Tek

Tek Comrade

Apr 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing your struggles with us. I am a first year full time teacher, and I agree, there's never enough time for everything.

Thankfully, I am currently on spring break, but have not done ANY work Friday-Monday. I feel bad and guilty, because I can be a bit of a procrastinator. I have been all my life... so I really need to get SOME work done today... Tuesday. I'm planning to observe a friend teach (sometimes it's refreshing just to see someone else teach and you can just sit back and take it in), and then afterward drive straight to my classroom to get some grading done. I hope to do the following over the next 6 days:

-Grade papers
    -Put grades into my online grade book
    -Maybe put up a new bulletin board, one with their writing samples
    -Clean up my room (something I've delayed for months now)
    -Plan for next week!

I better start Tuesday and do little by little. Otherwise, it'll be Saturday before I know it and my to-do list will be like "AHHHHHH!"

Nike said it best... just do it. Sometimes I take work home, but end up not grading it. It's a bad habit that I need to kick.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2019

Procrastination is replying to a 2013 thread in 2019 ;)