help please--all 4th grade math

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Occabacca, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Oct 17, 2007

I am happy to announce that I got a LTS position in the district that I interviewd over the summer in, however it is a departalmentalized job in 4th, 5th and 6th grade math. I was weary only becasue I realy was hoping to land something in a grade classroom.
    I will have all of 4th, 2 fifth and 2 sixth grade classes of math. I am scared and excited

Tell me does anyone have any experience in this type of position. What can I expect? Do you think it will be harder because its 3 different grades???
    I know I will be working with the math coach and will have an aide.
    Will i still be able to set up learning centers, and have interactive bulletin boards?
    How should I oraganize myself? Any tips, hints or ideas would be so helpful. I really want to prove myself to the school, teachers, parents anad students.

Thanks ahead of time.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 17, 2007

While I have never done this type of position, I think you can have a great experience! I think it will be easier to concentrate on one subject.

Bulletin boards: I would definitely include vocabulary in some way.

Organize your class materials and homework, etc, by color according to grade level.

Gather brain teaser material for fast finishers and center time: these could be used across the grade levels.

Find out what materials and manipulatives you will have.

Keep up with your grading; while this usually is a lot faster than other subjects to grade, there is a lot of work and I grade daily to see what needs reviewed and reinforced.

Good luck!

4. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Oct 18, 2007

I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm teaching a lot of 4th and 5th Math with a section of 4/5 Reading. I just recommend using all your resources around you. Ask about what curriculum they use. Talk to teachers about what things they may expect from the students in Math. Look at your state standards to see what they are expected to know before leaving their respective grades. Basically, you just have to jump right in!