Help planning "introductory algebra" demo lesson for 8th graders

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by mathteacher2, Jul 6, 2010.

1. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Hey everyone, I am new to the community, just joined with hopes that I could get some ideas for a demo lesson next week! I have two demo lessons on the 13th, and I will be using the same demo lesson for each. Both districts focus on hands on and engaging activities for students, so I want to make sure that whatever I do is FUN and as hands on as possible. I will be teaching a group of 7th-going-into-8th graders, and all I was given was that it should be an "introductory algebra" lesson. I will have a half hour for the lesson.

So...any ideas?? I did my student teaching in 7th grade, so I have somewhat of an idea of what my kids would be capable of in 8th grade algebra, but I'm still not entirely sure what I should do. Should I do solving two step equations or is this too simple? Functions or is that too complex? I don't have a textbook from either school to work with (not that I need it, but it might give me a better idea of where they start off with 8th grade algebra or where they left off at the end of 7th).

Thank you in advance!!

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 6, 2010

You can try doing a hands-on lesson on solving equations with variables on both sides or equations where you use the distributive property. You can use the area model to show distributive property.

How long should the lesson be?

4. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

Thank you for your input! It is a 30 minute lesson. I might try the variables on both sides - hopefully they know already how to solve equations, and if they did this already then it should be easy!!

5. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jul 23, 2010

This won't take the whole 30 minutes, but I play "integer war" with my son. You know the card game war, where you each put down a card and see whose is larger.

In integer war, you put down two cards each. Black is positive, red is negative, now who has the largest sum? It's a good way to get used to adding positive and negative numbers.

Best to you.